I would go to the store and buy BIG bags of Halloween candy. It was SPECTACULAR. The neighborhood I lived in had hundreds of kids and they’d all stream past the house in their costumes and often with their dogs in costume too.
Creating a fun Halloween costume for your dog doesn’t have to cost a lot and can be easy to put together – if you know how. Here are 5 different ideas for easy DIY dog costumes.
DIY Sheep Costume for Dog
Sheep costumes for dogs (on Halloween) are one of the most popular choices around the world. A lot of people go for this dress because it’s convenient to make but still pretty effective. All you need to know is the size of your dog and you are good to go.
- A glue gun
- A piece of clothing that fits your dog (for reference)
- A white shirt
- Cotton Balls
- Use a marker to draw the corresponding shapes of the reference clothing on the white shirt.
- Cut these pieces with a scissor and use the glue gun to join them. Don’t forget to keep the leg holes in the dress.
- Once you have replicated the shape of the reference clothing, attach the cotton balls on the dress. Make sure you cover the dress completely with cotton balls.
- Try this cute dress on your pet and ensure that the dog is not chewing it.
DIY Dog Pumpkin Costume
Dogs wearing pumpkin costumes are fun to watch! This is a simple little costume that looks adorable on your cute pet.
- A couple of T-shirts
- A pair of scissors
- Sewing machine (Needle and Thread)
- Cotton or Polyester
- Ribbon (drawstring)
- Paper plate
- Cut both the T-shirts from right under the armpit region. This will give you two cylindrical pieces of fabric.
- Now, put one of these pieces inside out while the other one will have its right side out.
- Then, you need to put both the right sides together. Therefore, one piece of cloth will go inside the other.
- Match the pieces exactly and pin them to make channels at the top and at the bottom. Also, make vertical markings with chalk. (Don’t worry, the following video will make things clearer for you).
- Once all of this is done, you are ready to start sewing. Sew the top channel first and then the vertical channels. Leave the bottom channel open for now as we need to add the stuffing.
- Add stuffing to all the vertical channels and sew the bottom channel. Lastly, insert a piece of ribbon in the top and bottom channels.
- You can make the cap (top of the pumpkin) by cutting two circular pieces of fabric from the top of a T-shirt. Insert a paper plate between these pieces and sew them to complete the dress.
Here’s another idea for no sew pumpkin dog costume:
DIY Dog Elf Costume
An elf costume is an ideal option for your dog for Halloween OR Christmas.
- A headband that fits your dog
- Pom-poms (ideally of red color)
- A couple of pieces of felt/foam sheets (green and skin)
- A glue gun
- You begin the process by drawing the ears on the skin felt sheet. Cut these pieces of felt and draw the middle section of both ears.
- Now, turn your focus to the green felt sheet for creating the hat for your dog. Fold the felt sheet to extract a square-shaped piece out of it (explained in the video below).
- Attach the diagonal corners of the square piece by using a glue gun. This gives you a proper little elf hat.
- Then, attach the headband and the ears to the hat by following the steps in the video.
- Lastly, add a little tinsel and a pom-pom to complete the costume.
DIY Hot Dog Costume for Dogs
Hot dogs are extremely popular in the United States. Keeping this mind, a hot dog costume for your dog at a Halloween party is fun to put together and people will think your dog is adorable.
- Red onesie
- Tan Felt
- Fleece (White and Yellow)
- Thread and needle
- Put on the red onesie on the dog and pin/sew the extra cloth.
- Cut two pieces of white fleece (an inch larger than required) and curve their edges.
- Then, cut two pieces of tan felt (3 inches taller than the fleece pieces). Don’t forget to curve their edges, too.
- Place a piece of fleece on a piece of felt and pin their flat edges. Now, fleet the curve edges to fit and pin them. Add a couple of straps to the dress (one at the belly and other at the front).
- Once that is done, sew around the edges but leave an opening at the side opposite the bottom strap for stuffing. Repeat this entire process for the other felt bun.
- Now, cut a piece of yellow fleece (mustard) and turn it along the long side. After that, place it in the bun opening and sew both fabrics to close the opening in the buns. Strap the buns on the dog.
- Cut a piece of mustard squiggle (yellow fleece) and attach it to red onesie by using Velcro. Your dog is now all set to amaze your friends.
DIY Dog Spider Costume
The spider costume is a perfect alternative for dogs who don’t like to wear fancy dresses for Halloween. In addition to being simple to make, it is an incredibly economical option for dog parents.
- Dog collar
- Take some Pipecleaners (according to the thickness you want) and twist them together. If you have a bigger dog, you can repeat this process once more to make two pieces and combine them to form a leg of the spider. Whatever way you do, you will need to do that 7 more times to complete 8 legs of a spider.
- Once you have done that, turn your focus towards the dog collar. The positioning of the hooks is dependent on your plans of Halloween and is explained in the following video.
- Now, you need to tie the Pipecleaner-legs to the collar (4 on each side). Wrap and twist the ends of each leg to attach it. You don’t want the costume to irritate your dog so keep the ends on the outside of the collar.
- Lastly, bend the Pipecleaners such that they start resembling spider legs. You can give a more realistic touch to the dress by covering the collar with more Pipecleaners.
The Bottom Line on Easy DIY Dog Costumes:
Dog costumes don’t have to be difficult or expensive. With a little ingenuity you can make a costume for your dog in a short amount of time and have fun doing it.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.