5 DIY Dog Bandanas – Create Your Own Dog Bandana w/ Easy Video Instructions
There was a doll when I was little called a “real baby”. All the other baby dolls were hard plastic, but this doll was different.
The baby doll had soft, plastic hands and feet and a face that looked 100% real. But that’s not where the magic was. My “real baby” was also the size of a real baby and when you held her she looked just like an infant.
People would stop me when I was with my mom in the grocery store and ask me what her name was, because they thought she was my little sister.
I thought it was very cool and “grown up” at the age of 9 or 10.
I spent many hours dressing that beautiful baby doll in outfits that my mom had made for her. I always loved picking out her outfits.
I don’t dress baby dolls anymore, but I do still like to make cute things for my dogs. And DIY Dog Bandanas are one of the easiest projects you can make for your dog to wear.
In this article I’m going to show you 5 different ways to create your own dog bandana. I hope you enjoy it!
How to Make a Dog Bandana Without Sewing
There are three different projects here that let you make a dog bandana without sewing, including a very cool project where you can personalize your dog bandana.
Basic No Sew Dog Bandana
This is the easiest project in the list and requires an extremely minimal supply list.
Video Demonstration: How to Make a Tie On Dog Bandana (no sewing)
- Fat Quarters (fabric packs found at craft stores)
- Hot glue gun
How to get the right length;
Measure your dog’s collar and add two inches, you will want the long strip in this project to be two inches longer than your dog’s collar.
- Fold fabric into a double triangle and cut out (you will have a square when you unfold it)
- Cut a long piece of material to fit around your dog’s neck
- Fold over the edges of the long strip and stick using a hot glue gun
- Fold over the ends of the long strip and glue down
- Place long strip in the middle of your square and glue down with a hot glue gun
- Fold triangle over long strip – wrong site out and glue the edges together
- Turn the bandana inside out and your done!
How to Make Custom Dog Bandanas
Once you’ve put together a bandana of your choosing using the methods listed above, you can personalize it with your puppy’s name. You can do this with a Cricut easy press or printable transfer iron on paper that you can get at your local craft store.
Customize Your Dog Bandana with a Cricut Easy Press
Another way to personalize a dog bandana is with rubber stamps. You can use rubber stamps and ink to stamp a plain white bandana (you can make this or buy one) into something really special.
Use Rubber Stamps to Customize Your Dog Bandana:
DIY Flannel Dog Bandana
Flannel is one of my favorite materials to work with. It’s also a super easy project if you’re looking for no sew. That’s because flannel frays on the edges easily, giving you a nice, cozy fringe to your bandana.
This video is actually for a scarf, but it perfectly shows how to fray the edge of flannel.
How to Fray Flannel for Your DIY Dog Bandana Scarf
I’ve started the video where she shows the fraying process, so you can see exactly how to do it on your bandana.
- Seam ripper
- Squares of flannel that are 3 inches longer than your dog’s collar across diagonal corners
- Cut your piece of flannel into a square that is 3 inches longer than your dogs collar from across diagonal corners (It’s easier to fold the fabric into a double fabric triangle and measure across the fold)
- Fray the edges of your flannel by using the seam ripper to pull the cross fibers out of the fabric
- Fold in half and tie on your dog!
DIY Dog Birthday Bandana
This tuxedo style bandana is super cute, perfect for a dog birthday and goes together easily if you sew.
Spoonflower Dog Bandana
Spoonflower is a blogger and she has fantastic tutorials.
This bandana has a free PDF pattern and slips over your dog’s collar so it’s less bulky than some of the other bandanas in this post.
How To Make Slip Over Collar Dog Bandanas – DIY
The Bottom Line on DIY Dog Bandanas
As you can see there are several methods for making and decorating homemade dog bandanas. The method you choose depends a lot on whether you want to sew your bandana or have no sew project.
I personally liked the fringed flannel dog bandanas the best, because they are super soft and easy to make.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.