3 Tasty DIY Dog Treats with Peanut Butter
I tried a dog treat and I liked it. 🙂
Seriously, all the recipes that are on this page are not only fun to make for your dogs, but you can eat them too. All the ingredients are 100% real, and these peanut butter dog treat recipes actually taste pretty good.
Before I get into the recipes, I want to talk a little bit about peanut butter and why it’s a great thing – in moderation – for your dogs.
Can You Give Your Dog Too Much Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter has heart healthy fats, is a good source of protein, and contains important vitamins like Niacin, Vitamin B, and Vitamin E.
You should always use treats – including peanut butter – as a supplement to your dogs regular diet and never as the main course. Even the best homemade dog treats, like these, aren’t balanced enough to be your dogs main meal.
IMPORTANT: There are peanut butters on the market right now that are sweetened with xylitol. NEVER, ever give anything containing xylitol to your dog because it can be very toxic. Always use an unsweetened peanut butter or one that is sweetened with honey or sugar.
When it comes to how much peanut butter is good for your dog, the basic rule here is that peanut butter and peanut butter based treats are safe and even good for dogs in moderation, but that they shouldn’t replaced a high quality dog food or homemade dog food.
Now… let’s get onto the recipes!
Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treat Cupcakes
The idea is just too adorable to pass up.
And I can’t remember the last time I saw such a simple cupcake recipe that didn’t come out of a box!!
How to make homemade peanut butter cupcake dog treats
- 1 cup white or whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You can top your pupcakes with whipped cream, or a mixture of peanut butter and whipped cream. Pups love them both!
Peanut Butter Filled Bones for Dogs
Thank you to Pretty Fluffy for this incredibly simple treat recipe.
- Hollow dog bone
- 3 parts Organic Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- 1 part Coconut Flour
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until you don’t see the flour. If you feel it is still too runny, add a little more coconut flour. Be sure not to use too much flour, we don’t want it to be really crumbly.
- Take a spoon or icing knife and stuff it into the dog bone until it is tightly compact. You can put it in the freezer so they can enjoy it longer, or serve at room temperature. Either way your dog will definitely enjoy it!
Peanut Butter and Cheese Dog Treats
Thank you to My Dog’s Name for this great recipe.
- 2 cups of flour (either wheat or white, we used wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- Combine all the ingredients together and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab small bits of dough and start rolling into 1″ balls.
- Place balls onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
- Let the treats cool before serving to your pup.
The Bottom Line on DIY Dog Treats with Peanut Butter
Personally, I love all of these recipes. Especially the sandwich cookie one. They are all fairly low in added sugar and made from wholesome ingredients.
My dogs LOVE when I bake for them. I hope your dogs do as well.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.