Chicken Dinner for Adult Dogs and Puppies – 4 Recipes
Boo & Lorelei LOVE chicken. Well, they love meat.
And since I tend to drop when I cook, they frequently get to sample chicken.
Plus, it’s part of my recipe for when they have a boo-boo tummy.
So, when I found these recipes for a chicken dinner for dogs, I figured it would be a hit in my house… and it was!!
I hope your dogs love it as much as mine. They also really love multiple versions of pup loaf – meatloaf for dogs!
Note: Consult your veterinarian when decided what to feed your dog – either commercial food or from scratch.
Homemade Chicken Dinner for Dogs
- pounds chicken, diced
- 2 cups of red cabbage, diced
- 2 apples (skinned), diced
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped
- 5 whole eggs, raw or cooked, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add chicken to a large pot and boil until it is almost fully cooked.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the cabbage, spinach, and apples.
- Simmer until the chicken finishes cooking.
- Remove pot from the stove and let cool.
- Add the eggs and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
This recipe comes from the book The Healthy Hound Cookbook by Paris Permenter.
Homemade Dog Food – Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Stew
Since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet most dogs love them. Add to that that they are nutritional powerhouses and sweet potatoes and chicken become an amazing combination. This is a particularly good dog food recipe for picky dogs.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 6 pieces each
- 2 pounds frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, carrots)
- Place ingredients in slow cooker in order listed, covering chicken completely with vegetables
- Cook 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Remove from slow cooker, shred chicken and stir into rice and veggie mixture until evenly distributed.
- Store covered in fridge for up to three days or freeze in single-serve portions.
Thank you to HappyandYummy.com for this recipe.
Homemade Dog Food – Crockpot Chicken
This is a super easy to make recipe, because it uses the Crockpot for cooking. Just dump your ingredients in and let it go.
- 3 lbs lean ground chicken
- 1 cup butternut squash I use frozen, precut
- 15 oz can kidney beans drained
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup carrots sliced or diced
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cups of water
- Throw everything in crockpot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- This makes a big batch, so you will want to portion out your servings and freeze.
Thank you to A Forks Tale for this recipe.
Chicken and Rice Dinner for Dogs
If you are trying to sooth an upset tummy then you will want to use plain, bland chicken and rice. This recipe adds veggies as well and makes a great doggy dinner.
- 3 pounds minced chicken meat
- 2 1/2 cups frozen vegetable blend (no garlic or onions), minced
- 4 cups rice
- 6 1/2 cups water
- Place chicken, vegetables, and rice into a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir in water until the mixture is smooth. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes. Cool completely before serving; store covered in the refrigerator.
Thank you to AllRecipes.com for this recipe.
The Bottom Line on Chicken Dinner for Dogs
When you are cooking at home for your dogs it’s important to make sure that any vegetable pack you use has no onions or garlic or onion or garlic powder. These ingredients are toxic to dogs in large quantities.
Vets will often also recommend a high quality nutritional supplement for dogs on homemade diets – consult with your vet.
All of these recipes are easy to make and dogs love them. Have fun watching your dog’s face light up!