I’ve got to tell you, I really love putting together cute things for my dogs, and I love to craft.
So this particular easy sew necktie for dogs got my attention.
Creating Homemade Dog Bling – The Easy Way
One of the things I like the most about this craft is that once you’ve done it once you can create different neckties for your dogs in different fabrics and change them out for the season.
That’s the easy way to make cool projects for your dogs.
The other thing that I really like about this project is that because it attaches to your dog’s collar – it really isn’t clothes.
Some dogs HATE clothes, and some owners aren’t too fond of clothing for pups either. But if you or your dog really LIKES clothes check out these tie dye shirts for dogs!
But this necktie gives them a clothing “look” without actually being clothes.
You just thread your dog’s collar through this necktie and you have something really special for your dog to wear!
How to Make a Tie for Your Dogs
OK. Let’s get started! Making a tie for your dogs is relatively simple and easy to do. It requires very little fabric and goes together quickly.
Just follow the step by step directions below.
- One 14’” x 3” piece of fabric with pointed ends for the long tie piece.iron on interfacing for extra support on the long tie piece.
- One 4” x 3” piece for your dog’s collar to slide through.
- One 3” x 2.5” piece for the little portion that is wrapped around the long tie.
- Take your 3” x 2.5” piece and place the ends right side together. Sew with a 1/4” seam allowance.
- Turn right side out. I use a pen to assist me with this step. Press so the seam is in the middle.
- Fold this piece right sides together, sew together, and turn right sides out
- Place the 4” x 3” piece on top of the tie piece (centered). You will want the wrong right sides (the pretty sides) together.
- Sew 1/4 inch seam along the two edges of the 4” x 3” inch piece.
- Turn this right side out. You may want to press it flat if it’s too bulgy.
- Fold the pointed ends of the tie right side together and sew with a 1/4”ish seam allowance around the edges. Try to get a few stitches up into the covered piece to help hold the tie together better.
- Trim the edges up so you get a pointy tie. (I need to learn to switch out lenses. The wide angle does wonders for close-ups. But you get the picture, right?)
- Turn the dog tie right side out. You will now have the tie piece and the little wrap piece.
- Scrunch (technical term) the tie at the top and slide the wrap piece over the tie.
- Place your dog’s collar through the loop at the top.
What’s The Best Fabric for Dog Clothes?
You can use nearly any fabric for dog clothes, but you want to avoid fabrics that make your dog itchy.
Since it’s using so little fabric, you can use any quilter’s fat quarter or even suitable scrap fabric from another project to make any version you want!
Want a dressy photo for Christmas?
Go for it!
Easter coming up?
Go for pastels!
Seriously… the options for this particular project are endless.
This Also Makes Fun Homemade Gifts for Dog Friends
I really love gifts from the heart, and this project makes super fun and inexpensive gifts to give to all of your friends who have dogs.
They are sure to get as much of a kick out of this as I do!
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you and your furbabies.