Apple cider vinegar is a useful ingredient to keep fleas away from your pet. Although it can’t kill these external parasites, this type of vinegar is quite effective to repel them away. This is because fleas don’t like the taste and smell of this vinegar and will prefer to stay away. However, some adult fleas may choose to stick with your canine friend (even after the spray of this vinegar) if they can’t find another host.
The most common method of application is spraying the mixture of this vinegar and water on your pup. If your dog doesn’t enjoy this feeling, you can use a comb/brush to apply the mixture. Dip the comb in the mixture and brush the fur of your canine friend. This will distribute the apple cider vinegar mixture on your pooch’s hair and body.
Does Brewer’s Yeast Work for Fleas?
Brewer’s yeast works well for fleas and is often regarded as a natural flea treatment. Fleas don’t like the smell and taste of this ingredient and will stay away from your dog. Brewer’s yeast is very convenient to use and can be found easily at grocery stores. It can be used in powdered form as well as in tablet form. You can add it to the diet of your pooch or sprinkle it on his/her fur.
How to Use Brewer’s Yeast for Fleas?
The most suitable form of brewer’s yeast depends upon the preference of your pooch. Read on to learn about a recipe that can be used to keep the fleas away by using brewer’s yeast.
- 1 1/8 cup of organic coconut oil
- ½ cup of Brewer’s yeast
- Melt the coconut oil, making sure to have 1 1/8-cup total.
- Add Brewer’s yeast to the melted coconut oil. Mix by hand using a spatula, hand whisk, or an immersion blender.
- Slowly pour the mixed Brewer’s yeast and coconut oil concoction into the silicon mold. Spread the mixture into the sections using a rubber spatula. Or fill a condiment dispenser with the mixture, distributing evenly into each section.
- Place the filled silicone molds into the freezer until the homemade brewer’s yeast cubes have frozen. This process will take 5 minutes for the cubes to harden.
- Once frozen, pop the homemade brewer’s yeast cubes from the molds and store them in the freezer using a Mason jar or a freezer-safe container.
- Offer this natural flea treatment daily based on their weight. Feel free to provide it as a treat or add it to their daily feed, making sure to not exceed the amount.
Thanks to Farm Girl in the Making for this recipe.
Does Baking Soda Work for Fleas?
Baking soda is an effective ingredient to kill fleas but you will need to add some salt to it. The abrasive nature of the salt allows it to penetrate the hard shell of fleas. Once the exoskeleton is damaged, the dehydrating effect of both the ingredients will terminate these parasites in no time.
How to Use Baking Soda for Fleas?
Baking soda is an economical commodity that is often available in most homes. Hence, you won’t need to do a lot of effort to counter the irritating pests. Keep reading to know how you can use baking soda and salt to remove fleas from your home.
- Baking soda
- If possible, put animals in a spot away from your treatment zone. While the mixture won’t cause serious harm, if they have open wounds, the salt can be painful.
- Make an equal mixture of salt and baking soda liberally on your carpet or affected area. Leave it overnight to dehydrate the larvae and eggs.
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly and then clean your canister or bag carefully. This will make sure that you don’t accidentally let the fleas out again.
- Repeat the process again in a few days, which is when any leftover eggs would hatch and cause additional problems.
Thanks to Green Pest Solutions for this method.
Does Lemon Juice Work for Fleas?
Yes, it does because fleas hate the smell of citrus fruits, including lemon. Lemon juice can be sprayed directly on your dog or you can mix it with water. In either case, it will be enough to keep the fleas away from your canine companion.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Fleas?
The following is a useful technique to use this natural deterrent for managing flea infestation.
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of dried rosemary
- Add 2 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Slice one lemon into thin slices while waiting for the water to boil.
- Add the lemon slices with the rind to the boiling water. Add the rosemary to the mixture. Continue boiling for five minutes and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it sit overnight at room temperature.
- Drain the mixture into a spray bottle and then spray your cat or dog’s fur with the lemon spray. Make sure to not spray near the pet’s face so that it can’t get in their eyes. You can also spray the mixture onto a cloth and wipe around the area where the fleas are.
Thanks to Hunker for this method.
Does Vinegar Work for Fleas?
Vinegar is an excellent solution to deal with flea infestations. This natural ingredient is also quite useful against other pests, like hornets. This flea killer can be used in several different ways to keep these parasites away.
For example, you can make a mixture by mixing an equal amount of water and vinegar. Then, pour this mixture into a spray bottle and sprinkle it over your pet. The smell of the vinegar will kill the fleas and stop them from coming back. Alternatively, you can also bathe your dog with the vinegar solution to prevent a flea attack.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases