Skip to Content

Are Cherry Trees Safe for Dogs?

6 ripe cherries hanging from a cherry tree branch

No, they are not. According to ASPCA, Cherry trees are toxic to dogs because their bushes (like Chokecherry and Black cherry) contain cyanogenic glycosides. Only the fleshy part around the seed is safe. Other than that, all other parts of a Cherry tree contain cyanide and are toxic. Read on to know more about the effect of ingesting cherry trees on dogs if they ever have it.

Cherry Tree Information

Grove of cherry trees

The scientific name of a Cherry tree is Prunus spp. It belongs to the Rosaceae family and is toxic to dogs, cats, as well as horses. These trees are commonly found in Japan, but now they are also sheering in American courtyards.  

The flesh of cherry is relatively safer for dogs to eat because it doesn’t have cyanide in it. It can provide vitamins A and C as well as fiber to your pooch. However, too much of this fruit can cause an upset stomach. Therefore, you must ensure moderation even if you are feeding your pup cherry in a controlled environment.

Are Cherry Trees Safe for Dogs?

Bunch of ripe cherries hanging from a cherry tree with a sun flair in the upper right hand corner

The cherry tree has a high level of toxicity because its seeds, leaves, and stems contain cyanide. Dog owners need to rake all these parts to keep their canines safe. A single cherry stem often does not cause enough poisoning, but it’s better to avoid any risk. If your dog eats any of these poisonous parts, immediately take him/her to the vet.

Why is Cherry Tree Toxic to Dogs?

Small fluffy brown, white, and black dog  laying on a shiny black surface surrounded by ripe cherries and a basket of purple flowers

Cyanide – The main threat of Cherry trees is the cyanide in their stems, leaves, and seeds. They are poisonous and possibly lethal if your dog eats large quantities of these parts. The symptoms are difficulty in breathing, bright red gums, and widened pupils. In this situation, it is better to take the dog to the vet or persuade them to vomit to prevent cyanide toxicity.

Intestinal Blockage – If a single cherry pit gets stuck in a dog’s digestive area, it can cause intestinal blockage. The symptoms of this blockage include vomiting, reduced appetite, irregularity, and reduced fecal production. These symptoms might start to appear 24 hours after swallowing the pit. Owners with smaller pups should be more alert as there are more chances for them to be affected than the larger dogs.

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.