Many dog owners consider chicken and beef the only major sources of animal protein for their canine friends. However, there are many other options, such as turkey, lamb, duck, rabbit, and fish. Fish is one of the more popular ingredients among these alternatives because several pet food companies make fish-based products. Let’s discuss some commercial fish-based puppy foods and homemade recipes that you can try for your pup.
Best Fish Based Puppy Foods
Several dog food manufacturers are incorporating fish in their recipes because more and more people are demanding it. Hence, you can find a lot of products in the market but some of them are better than others. Read on to learn about some of the best fish-based puppy foods.
Whitefish Formula Puppy Food from Zignature
This limited-ingredient recipe is designed to offer excellent nutritional value to your pup. It is made from whitefish as the main ingredient and is free from unnecessary ingredients, flavors, and preservatives. In addition to the fish, whitefish meal is also there to increase the protein content of the dog food. Peas and chickpeas are taking care of the other nutrients (besides protein).
Grain-Free Puppy Food from Nature’s Recipe
This product is made from salmon, pumpkin, and sweet potato as its main ingredients. Salmon provides protein while pumpkin and sweet potato offer fiber and help with digestion. This grain-free recipe also includes some other useful ingredients, like peas and Garbanzo beans. Last but not least, rosemary extracts and B12 supplements add to the overall value of this puppy food.
Real Salmon Puppy Food from Rachael Ray Nutrish
This dog food is made from real meat and root vegetables (peas, beet pulp, and sweet potato) that are good for digestion. In addition to that, it carries vitamin supplements to balance the overall recipe. The price of this product is a massive advantage for many owners. This is because this puppy food is made from quality ingredients and is still affordably priced.
Homemade Fish Based Puppy Foods
Although there are many options in the market for dog foods with fish, nothing beats the control of homemade food. You can give your pooch fresh and high-quality ingredients without the addition of any filler. The following are some of the best recipes for preparing fish-based puppy food.
Fish Fillets and Vegetables
This recipe is very easy to make and will be delicious for your pooch. You can choose any dog-safe vegetables and can go for either fresh or frozen ones.
- 2 pounds of fish fillets
- 1 can of pink salmon
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 cups of diced vegetables
- 1 cup of brown rice
- Start by cooking the fish fillets and salmon. You can chop them up into cubes or grind them up. Either way, cook them in a pan without any oil to keep the fish lean.
- In a separate pot, cook your rice. If your dog isn’t like rice, you can always substitute it for oatmeal, lentils, or quinoa.
- As your rice is cooking, put your vegetables in a pot with some water and bring it to a boil. Let the vegetables simmer for about five minutes before draining the excess water.
- Now, it’s time to combine all the ingredients. Mix the fish, vegetables, rice, and eggs until you have a uniform mash.
- Let the mixture cool down completely before serving it to your dog.
- If you have any extra, pop it in the refrigerator or freezer to save it for later.
Thank you to Avid Cup for this recipe.
Fish Omelet for Puppies
This is an extremely nutritious meal for any puppy because it contains protein, fatty acids, and bell peppers. This dog-safe vegetable is very healthy for canines and carries a lot of benefits. The given ingredients will make 3 servings (½ cup each).
- ½ cup canned salmon
- ¼ cup bell pepper (diced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the eggs to the pan and scramble. You can scramble before adding to the pan if you choose.
- Then, add the fish and diced bell peppers to the eggs.
- Break the fish into small pieces and continue to scramble.
- Allow the meal to cook for about 5 minutes, scrambling occasionally.
- Allow the food to cool completely before serving to your dog.
Thank you to Top Dog Tips for this recipe.
Homemade Fish Cakes for Pups
Want to add something different to your dog’s menu? These fish cakes are just the thing you need. Just follow the given steps and surprise your furry friend.
- 1 large can of tuna
- 2 cans of albacore tuna
- 2 large eggs, hardboiled and chopped
- 4 ounces of frozen peas
- 2 large potatoes
- A handful of parsley, chopped and divided
- Boil the potatoes in unsalted water until tender.
- Let cool and then thoroughly mash them. The potatoes might be a bit dry but don’t add anything to them.
- Mix in ~1/4 of your parsley.
- Cook the peas according to the packaging.
- In a large bowl, mix the salmon, tuna, remaining parsley, chopped boiled eggs, and peas.
- You can either mix in the potatoes or serve the potatoes stacked on top of the fish mixture.
- Form into patties appropriate to the size of your dog and serve!
- Store the rest in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Thank you to Food with Feeling for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.