Help! My Dog Ate My Weed

marijuana cigarettes and loose marijuana on a slate

The legalization of marijuana has increased its usage even more. Consequently, weed is readily available in many homes but it is a harmful ingredient for families that have canine companions. The curious nature of dogs allows them to easily discover the things that are not meant for them.

What to do if your Dog Ate Weed?

The very first thing that is important for you is to know the symptoms of weed poisoning. Once you know them, you will be in a much better position to react promptly. Even if you are not sure but feel that the signs are suggesting trouble, it’s time to start the treatment.

Induce Vomiting

This can be a really useful method to prevent serious issues. However, this technique is only useful if your dog ate the weed, a few minutes ago. It’s best if you know how to induce vomiting. Otherwise, call your vet for the necessary guidelines.

Medical Treatment

yellow labrador retriever being examined by vet

If the incident of ingestion took place a while ago, vomiting might cause more harm than good. In these circumstances, it is better to take the dog to the vet’s clinic. In this way, the vet can use several professional treatments to control the damage. Activated charcoal and IV fluids are the most popular alternatives to prevent the absorption of toxins.

If your dog eats marijuana, you should always call your vet or the pet poison control line at: (888) 426-4435

Keep Your Dog Safe in the Future

Once your dog has successfully recovered from weed poisoning, make sure that it doesn’t happen again. Despite all the discomfort, your canine will still reach for everything in its reach. Store the marijuana products in a safe place and all the family members should follow this rule very carefully.

How do Dogs Become Intoxicated?

cookie and brownie marijuana edibles

There are a lot of edibles (snacks and baked goods) that have weed in them. Similarly, all they need is the slightest carelessness to ingest cannabis directly.

Other than these, there is another mode of intoxication that is often ignored. Smoking cannabis (second-hand smoke) in the same room where your dog is present can also be toxic for the pet. As dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brain, the effects of weed are stronger on them than humans. Therefore, a small quantity of cannabis can be enough to cause toxicity.

My Dog Ate Edibles

Once you realize that your dog has eaten a marijuana edible, inducing the canine to vomit may prevent serious problems. It is highly recommended to consult your vet for this procedure as he/she can give you the best method.

One of the most common techniques for inducing vomiting is the use of Hydrogen Peroxide. It is critical to determine the correct quantity of Hydrogen Peroxide for your dog. As a rule of thumb, we use 0.5-1 ml of this compound for each pound of your dog’s weight. In case of an exception, your vet will guide you accordingly.

If you didn’t notice your dog eating edibles and he/she is already showing signs of weed ingestion, it’s time to visit your vet for supportive care. Although the effects of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) cannot be reversed, you can make the dog as comfortable as possible. For instance, you can use IV fluids and medications to counter the effects of vomiting and dehydration.  

My Dog Ate Weed Ashes

pipes spilling ash onto white surface

Despite their keen interest in fresh marijuana, dogs are not very fond of eating weed ashes. The quantity of THC (in the ash) is so low that the dog may stay safe, even after consuming it.

On the other hand, excessive consumption means that you will need to contact a poison helpline. This will help you to understand and eliminate the effects of weed poisoning in your dogs.  

If your dog eats Marijuana , you should always call your vet or the pet poison control line at: (888) 426-4435

My Dog Ate Weed Chocolate

chocolates with a marijuana leaf on a white background

The popularity of weed chocolates has increased many times in the past few years. However, you will need to be careful with this product if you own a dog. Dogs love to explore and can find their way to these chocolates. For this reason, you should ensure that this edible is NEVER reachable for the pet.

If your canine has consumed weed chocolate, it is nothing but a double whammy. Both chocolate and weed are poisonous for dogs and the combination of these ingredients can be lethal. Therefore, immediately take your dog to the vet if he/she has consumed weed chocolate.    

Symptoms of Weed Poisoning in Dogs

dog laying on back being examined by vet

Irrespective of the quantity of weed that your dog has consumed, it is always advisable to contact your vet. Although small amounts of marijuana won’t do much damage, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Some signs of weed poisoning in dogs are listed below.

  • Dilated pupils
  • Lethargy
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Changes in body temperature
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Drooling
  • Vocalization
  • Incontinence
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures

Some of these symptoms (like tremors and seizures) are extremely dangerous while others (lethargy, vocalization, etc.) might indicate mild poisoning. Discussing these signs with your vet will allow you to figure out a suitable recovery method.

My Dog Ate Weed and is Twitching

Beagle with wide eyes staring at camera

If your pet consumed a high dosage of marijuana, he/she can suffer from twitching. Although it is normal, it should not be taken lightly. The harmful effects of weed on the central nervous system lead to these uncontrollable muscle contractions. Considering the dangers of weed poisoning, it is highly advisable to contact your vet when your dog starts twitching.

How Long will it Last?

Dogs who ate weed are not only sick but also quite scared. Consequently, your canines will need you to react promptly and take them to the vet, in case of an emergency. Some people believe that dogs experience the same high as humans but that’s NOT true. The effects of THC can persist in dogs for 2 days while they impact us for a few hours.

Why Weed is Bad for Dogs?

shaggy dog laying down wrapped in green blanket

There are more than 400 chemicals in Cannabis sativa, the weed plant. THC is the chemical that is responsible for most of the psychological side-effects of marijuana. Similarly, weed stimulates the receptors of cannabinoid in the brain that can have several harmful effects. The following are some of the reasons why marijuana is poisonous for dogs.   

  • Weed results in the release of neurotransmitters in specific areas (cerebellum and frontal cortex) of the brain.
  • It disturbs the activity of the central nervous system.
  • THC is detrimental for the tissues of kidneys, liver, and brain.
  • Cannabinoids initiate neuropharmacological mechanisms
  • THC is distributed easily into the organs of the body because it is lipid-soluble. 

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.

admin
 

Hi! My name is Heather Hallman. I’m the mother of two beautiful girls and a MAJOR passionate pet parent. I can hardly wait to bring you the BEST resources and information that I've found for our fur-babies.