Meatloaf is a tasty way to get all the nutrients your body needs. It smells good too which is why your dog is seated right next to you at the dinner table looking for his or her fair share.
But can dogs eat meatloaf? There is nothing wrong with this dish as long as you do not put onions or garlic in it. If you do add those vegetables, then you should not give your pet any meatloaf to eat.
No matter how much they beg.
Meatloaf for Dogs! 3 Amazing Dog Meatloaf Recipes.
Is Meatloaf Good for Dogs?
Yes, it is, for the most part. As long as all the ingredients are healthy for your pet, then it is okay to feed them a little bit. Hamburgers and other ingredients provide your dog with many of its needed vitamins and nutrients.
Also, you can feed meatloaf to your pet if it is made from pork and turkey. Those meats are very good for your dog to eat. The meat is always healthy for a dog but it is what is added to the meat that you have to be cautious about.
If you use the wrong ingredients, then your dog can suffer from some of the following symptoms:
- Pale gums
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of coordination (ataxia)
- Loss of appetite
Want to make something fun to make for your dog? Try these Meat Cupcakes for Dogs.
What Ingredients Should Not Be in Meatloaf
If you are planning to feed your dog some meatloaf when you eat it, then there are some ingredients you should not include in the recipe. Here are those ingredients:
- Garlic- can help your dog’s immune system attack healthy red blood cells
- Onions- Not just white or green onions but these varieties as well- chives, scallions, and shallot
- Raisins- Very toxic to your pet and can lead to kidney failure in your dog
- Breadcrumbs- Bad for those dogs with specific allergies to wheat and other bread-related ingredients
- Sugar- It is in ketchup and too much can harm your dog’s system as well as help them grow fat or contract diabetes
- Salt- This ingredient will most likely cause dehydration and too much salt can give your dog salt poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, or death in worse cases). Small dogs are more susceptible to this issue.
If you can avoid some or all of those ingredients, then meatloaf will be very healthy for your dog to eat.
Some Final Words
Feeding your dog human food like meatloaf can be risky. You must first check your recipe to make sure that the ingredients are not going to harm your pet. Even if it is your mother’s secret meatloaf recipe, and you want to share it with your pup, then remove those toxic ingredients.
That way, you can feed some to your dog without worry. However, do not feed them too much as you still run the risk of their getting fat and that is never a good thing in a dog.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.