Dogs are adorable companions of humans that have been helping them in many different ways for several centuries. Hence, it is pretty fair to provide your canine friend with a nice and cozy place to stay. Dog shelters are the perfect alternatives in this regard as they offer privacy and safety to your pup. A DIY dog shelter is also an economical way of providing quality accommodation to your pooch. Keep reading to learn some of the best ways to make a DIY shelter for dogs.
Homemade Dog Shelter
The modern design of this cost-effective doghouse is not only beautiful but also very effective. It will give your canine companion a comfortable place to rest and contribute to the appeal of your house. Here’s how you can make this amazing DIY dog shelter.
- A sheet of ¼-inch plywood (cut into 14-inch strips)
- 2 8-foot long 2x3 wood pieces
- Wood screws
- A circular saw
- A cordless drill
- Measure the height of your sitting dog. This will help you to decide the height of the equilateral triangles that will be used to make the dog shelter.
- Once you have the height, mark the triangles on the plywood with a pencil.
- After drawing the triangles, join the boards together and use the circular saw to cut the sheets. You will need 20 triangles and will be able to cut two sheets at a time because of this setting.
- Now, cut some wood blocks out of the 2x3 pieces for connecting the plywood triangles.
- Use a pencil to make the markings and cut by angling the blade at a 42-degree angle. Alternatively, you can use a small circular saw for this purpose.
- After that, use sandpaper to smoothen the rough edges of the plywood triangles.
- You can now start attaching the wood blocks to the plywood by using wood screws (and the drill).
- Assemble the plywood triangles together to make the dog shelter. You will need to cut some of the triangles in half to make the door of the doghouse.
- Add additional wood blocks (using screws) to the spots that require extra strength and support.
Easy DIY Dog Shelter
This cost-effective dog shelter is very easy to make and will keep your pups safe in most seasons. It is lifted from the ground and won’t make your pooch wet during the rainy season. Read on to learn how you can make one for your dogs.
- A large wooden palette (8 feet long and 5.5 feet wide)
- A 9-millimeter tarp (11 feet by 19 feet)
- 2 wooden braces (about 4 feet long)
- A 16-foot steel fence
- Wood screws
- Use a circular saw to cut out the wooden braces from a large wooden block.
- Attach the braces with the palette by making use of some wood screws. You should use at least 3-4 screws per brace and attach them from the inside.
- Then, put the fence in place by giving it the required support from the braces. You can also anchor the fence (with the palette) by using a rope if you want.
- After that, unpack the tarp and spread it around the fence. You will get some extra tarp on the back and on both sides of the dog shelter.
- Tuck the overhanging tarp below the palette on each side. It will provide additional support and security to the structure.
- Now, cover the palette wood floor with pavers to prevent your dogs from getting injured. They will cover the holes in the palette floor that can cause serious trouble to your canine friend.
- Once the flooring is complete, you can place your dog’s house inside the shelter and put some fresh bedding in it.
- Let your pooch enjoy his/her new place.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please note: We are not veterinarians and you use our advice at your own discretion. We always recommend that you consult your veterinarian whenever you have health-related conditions your furbaby is facing. With that in mind, as pet parents ourselves, we wish nothing but the best for your pet and their healthy and happy lives.