If you like to sew or are new to sewing, making dog toys can be a fun hobby. The toys featured in this article are easy enough for a beginner to learn from, yet quick enough to make for someone with experience to be able to make multiple toys at a time for donating, selling, or giving as gifts. These stuffed dog toys can be customized to your liking with whatever fabric you have on hand and if you want to add a squeaker, or not. Here is how you can make a dog bone and a cat head shaped stuffed squeaky dog toy.
How to Make a Stuffed Dog Toy
- Old T-shirts or Scraps of fabric bigger than a standard 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper.
- Free Printable Pattern (You can print your free patterns here – Cat Head – Dog Bone)
- Pillow Stuffing (Either pillow stuffing or cut up scraps of fabric)
- Sewing Machine and/or Needle and Thread
- Stick Pins
- Pencil or Chopstick (for turning project right side out and stuffing)
- Print out the pattern on a standard 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper. (You can find the free printable pattern by clicking here – Cat Head – Dog Bone).
- Cut out your paper pattern.
- With 2 layers of fabric in place (right sides of the fabric facing each other), lay your pattern on top of the fabric and pin it in place with stick pins.
- Cut out the fabric following the pattern’s edge.
- Using your sewing machine or a needle and thread, sew the 2 layers of fabric together around the edge of the design leaving about 2 inches open to turn and stuff your toy. Note: Make sure if you are using a sewing machine to set your machine to the correct settings for the fabric you are using. Knit fabrics require different setting than cotton fabric.
- Through the opening, turn your right side out. Use something long and narrow like a chop stick or a pencil to push all the edges out into the correct shape.
- Stuff the toy with stuffing. Somewhere along the way, add a squeaker in with the stuffing, then continue to stuff the toy until it is full.
- Using the needle and thread, sew the opening shut.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.