DIY Dog Squeaky Toys
Does your dog love squeaky toys? Ours do, however they have gone through quite a lot of them. We have purchased a lot of dog toys over the years and frankly, the money spent on buying dog toys adds up.
Which is why I love today’s DIY — These DIY dog squeaky toys can be customized, repaired and replaced with ease.
DIY Squeaky Toys
Squeaky Doggie Bone Tutorial
- Decorative Canvas Fabric
- Polyfil for stuffing
- Squeaker (recycled or new)
- Start with a rectangle (around 1″ x 4″)
- Fold it in half and sew an L-shape tube (with a 1/8″ seam allowance).
- Turn the tube right-side-out and then tie a knot on the closed end to finish.
- Repeat twice so you have three finished ties for each toy. Don’t worry about the side with the raw ends…those will be hidden inside of your finished bone.
- Using the PDF pattern , cut out two bone shapes from heavy canvas or upholstery-weight fabric. In the examples shown here, I used decorative canvas fabric from my local Hobby Lobby store, but think outside of the box… do you have any old canvas bags sitting around the house waiting to be re-purposed?
- Place the shapes right-sides together and add three chew ties to one end as shown…
- Sandwich the ties between your pattern pieces and pin all in place before sewing.
- Sew around the pattern piece with a 1/4″ seam allowance leaving the bone open on one side as shown. (For a smaller bone, use a larger 5/8″ seam allowance.) When you sew over the chew ties, you may want to back-tack across them to give them added strength. Make sure you don’t accidentally catch the ends of your chew ties in the seam as you sew around the bone.
- Clip the seam allowance around the entire bone before turning right-side out.
- Turn your bone right-side out & prepare to fill it.
- I used Polyfil to stuff the bones. Then, I added a small squeaker. You’ll want to bury the squeaker in the middle of the stuffing.
- Once you’ve stuffed your bone, hand-stitch the opening closed with a slip stitch using several strands of matching embroidery floss or thick thread for added strength.
Dog Bone Sewing Pattern
Squeaky Dog Bone
- 2 pieced of fabric of the same size
- Fabric Scraps
- Strong Thread
- Turn your 2 pieces of fabric that are the same size facing wrong side out and line them up to match. (Use heavier fabric for larger dogs.
- With both pieces of fabric together, cut out a bone shape.
- Using your needle and strong thread, sew 3 sides of the bone leaving an opening for stuffing. Clip the thread and turn the fabric inside out.
- Fill the toy with loose fabric scraps.
- Wrap the squeaker in a piece of fabric and sew it shut. Insert the bundle into the bone toy.
- Continue stuffing the bone toy with fabric scraps until the bone is firm.
- Sew the opening in the bone toy closed.
Thank you to HowCast for this pawsome tutorial.
Where to Buy Replacement Squeakers for Dog Toys
When your dog has a favorite stuffed animal and the squeaker goes out, you don’t want to throw away the whole toy. Replacement squeakers can be bought either online or at some of our favorite pet stores and the good news is they aren’t that expensive.
You can buy a 20 pack of dog toy replacement squeakers at Chewy.com for only $7.49. Replacement dog toy squeakers even come in various sizes so even your big pups will be happy.
How to Clean Dog Toys with Squeakers
Dog toys with squeakers can be washed like any other dog toy. When machine washing their favorite stuffy with a squeaker use a natural detergent that is safe for your dog. You will most likely need to squeeze water from the squeaker when it comes out of the wash, but when it dries, it will be back to squeaking in no time.