Are Labs a good family dog? Yes, they are. They take great pleasure in spending time with their families and can be very protective if you are in danger or if an unfamiliar person approaches you. In addition to this, they are excellent with young children.
If you are a first-time pet owner, you could certainly make a mistake by not purchasing a lab. On the other hand, you can’t do any better.
Simply continue reading our article to learn more about the answer to this question. It contains additional information demonstrating how suitable this breed of dog can be as a pet.
Are Labradors Good For First Time Owners?
Even if this is your first time owning a dog, the American lab is the ideal breed for you to start out with because it possesses so many admirable traits. The many advantages that you would enjoy if you chose this dog as your first pet are outlined in the following paragraphs:
1. They Are Very Intelligent– First and foremost, these canines have a high level of intelligence, which makes them very easy to interact with.
2. They Are Very Amiable- They are very friendly, and the American lab is not known to be a particularly aggressive breed of dog. It has a pleasant demeanor and is able to remain calm and collected under pressure, showing no signs of irritation or anger.
3. They Are Very Good With Children– They are wonderful dogs to have around small children due to their mellow demeanor and gentle nature, which makes them very good with children.
4. They Are Highly Trainable– They are extremely easy to train because of their eagerness to please their masters, which motivates them to work very hard to learn the various skills and responsibilities that their masters want them to acquire. This includes basic house training.
5. They Like To Socialize– When trained right and given exposure to other pets and humans, they can be very sociable and friendly
6. They Are Not Aggressive– They do not have an aggressive personality; these animals do not become agitated very quickly, and they do not adopt an aggressive demeanor when they are teased or bothered. They are extremely well-behaved canines that appear to get along well with the majority of people.
Pros And Cons Of Owning An American Lab
American Labradors, despite the fact that it is extremely popular as a pet to have one, does have some undesirable characteristics that might not be compatible with the way of life you have chosen. The following list of pros and cons of owning this dog should help you form a more informed opinion:
- A very popular dog breed to own.
- Friendly, sociable and eve-tempered.
- Protective and very loyal to their masters.
- They come to the rescue when you are in trouble.
- American Labs are easy to train and get house broken.
- These dogs love to hunt and be out on the water.
- The American lab loves to swim.
- A very high energy pet that is not usually destructive.
1. They are capable of producing an excessive amount of barking, whining, growling, and whimpering; they will do these things when they are alone and in other situations as well.
2. They require between one and two hours of exercise per day as they have an excessive amount of energy.
3. They are easily distracted; when they are out for walks or when they are being trained, they have a tendency to chase after small animals such as squirrels, rabbits, and birds. These more manageable creatures have the potential to divert your lab’s attention away from its training.
4. They crave attention, and because of this, they are prone to experience separation anxiety. This is a breed of dog that thrives on companionship with its owner.
5. They are not ideal for living in cramped quarters because these dogs require ample space to complete their daily exercise.
6. The lab sheds a lot, and when we say a lot, we mean a lot, so it’s not a good choice for households with someone who suffers from allergies. During the season of molting, you will have many opportunities to clean the fur.
Are Labs Good For Active Families?
They certainly are. Because of their size, their personality, and their high level of energy, they are a very active breed of dog. They enjoy being physically active and going to the beach just as much as you and the other members of your family do.
They typically enjoy swimming and going hunting in their spare time. Your lab will have a good time joining in on the antics as long as you keep moving around.
Running is the one activity in which you should exercise extreme caution. These dogs have a running range of between 5 and 10 miles, but in order to run further than 5 miles, they need to be in good physical condition. They also need a significant amount of rest in between runs, anywhere from two to three days, in order to protect their hips and joints.
Some Final Words
The most important question for would-be dog owners to ask themselves is, “Is this dog going to be a good fit for my family and me?” There are many different reasons why certain dog breeds are not ideal for households with children and other members of the household.
The fact that this breed of dog has been ranked as the most popular canine species all over the world for the past 29 years in a row is an indication that it makes an excellent companion for families. This one fact ought to provide you with all the information you require concerning this breed.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases