Fleas Are Not Nice
They may be small, but they can bring pain to puppies, dogs, and even humans. Plus, they can spread different diseases that harm both your pets and your family. These are not friendly creatures.
They are more like vampires, looking for blood to survive and reproduce. To learn how to protect your vulnerable puppies, just continue to read our article. It has important information that should help you defend your puppies and give them a comfortable life.
Take a few minutes to see how this information can help you take care of your young pets.
The Answer Here is a Gentle Shampoo and a Flea Comb, Maybe Diatomaceous Earth
The trouble with protecting your puppies is that their bodies and internal organs are far too sensitive to use regular anti-flea products. There is no safe commercial product you can use to keep fleas away.
The risks are too great as some of these commercial products contain ingredients, like Permethrin, that cause diarrhea, vomiting, and respiratory problems, nerve damage, resulting in excessive tremors, drooling, numbness, or even seizures.
What Can a Puppy Owner Do to Protect Their Puppies?
1. Use a Warm Bath- Put some nice warm water in a tub or other watertight container and fill it up enough so that the puppy’s head remains above water. Then let the puppy soak for about 5 minutes while you wet the rest of his or her body.
Then place your puppy or puppies into a nice clean towel and gently dry them off.
2. Brush Their Hair- You can use a flea comb to get any fleas still hiding on your puppy’s body. Flea combs are not harmful to small, young dogs. Once you get the fleas off your puppy, crush them, or kill them in some other way.
3. Prevention is Key– Take the time to clean your home and while you are doing that, make sure your puppies do not go near flea-infested areas like carpets, bedding, and furniture.
Also, if the mother has fleas, separate the puppies from her until you can get those fleas off the mother.
4. Wait Until the Puppies Are Old Enough- Most anti-flea products will have a minimum age limit where you can start to apply them to puppies. Know when your puppy is old enough to handle those products and use them wisely.
Some products can be used as early as 7 weeks, others at 8 weeks, and still more at 14 weeks. Read the labels carefully to make sure the product is designed to work with young pups.
4. Use Natural Products- Diatomaceous Earth, baking soda, and salt are just two products you can use when your puppies are in your home. Just spread these items over flea-infested areas and wait a few hours for them to work.
Then vacuum those areas. The fleas should be killed along with their eggs and larvae. make sure to wash their bedding to get rid of all the fleas in your home. Your puppies will be fine until their beds dry.
Try Other Natural Products
While you may not be able to use the following natural products on puppies for a while, you can use them on their mother and around your home. Here is a short list of home remedies that help repel and kill fleas and protect your puppies.
1. Pure Coconut Oil- It is good on a short-term basis and your pet can eat a little bit, about 1/2 tsp., or rub it on their skin.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar- The same applies to this natural product. A little in their water dish will go a long way if your dog drinks it. If not, then rub some on their skin. Fleas do not like the smell of vinegar.
3. Lemon Juice- But use only a little mixed with water. Avoid spraying the mixture on their genitals, in their ears, eyes & nose.
4. Yeast- This option is not fully supported yet but adding yeast to your dog’s food helps fight off fleas. Once digested, the yeast is excreted through the pores and makes the dog’s fur and skin less attractive to fleas.
Rosemary is the same as yeast. It is a home remedy not supported by any scientific studies as being effective against fleas.
5. Baking Soda- This product dehydrates fleas, eggs, and larvae so it is effective and safe to use on dogs, carpets, bedding, and other places in your home.
Some Final Words
When you notice that there are fleas on your puppies or in your home. Take the right steps to protect both. Those fleas are mean and do not care who they hurt. Use the best products for your pets no matter what age they are.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.