Adult Fleas Have Short Lives
They tend to live for about 2 weeks when they do not have a host. However, their eggs and larvae can hibernate for a lot longer period of time. That means you may have fleas months after you thought you got rid of the last one.
When you have pets in the house, your options of getting rid of all stages of flea life can be very restricted. You have to be careful of which solutions you use as some of those solutions are harmful to your cat or dog.
Keep reading to find out some of the best ways to get rid of fleas when you own pets.
How Do I Get Rid of Fleas in My House Without Harming Pets?
Getting rid of fleas when you have pets can be a difficult chore. You never know where those eggs or larvae went since they do not stick to their hosts. It gets more difficult when you have pets in the home.
You can’t always use commercial flea products as those products can harm your pet. That is due to the fact those commercial flea killers contain harmful chemical ingredients. You have to be careful in how you apply them.
There are several methods you can use that will not harm your pets and still get rid of those fleas.
1. Give Your Pet A Bath- Do this first so you know that all the fleas, their eggs, and larvae are gone from your animals. Then put on a flea collar, or powder, or give them Capstone medication to kill any fleas that happen to jump on them while you are doing the other methods.
2. Vacuum- While your pets are drying off in a safe corner, vacuum their bedding, the carpets, the floor, and even your furniture. Vacuuming is not harmful to pets and it picks up all stages of flea life very quickly. Make sure to set the vacuum to deep clean to get down into those deep pile carpets you may have.
3. Wash Everything- This includes your clothing, bedding, your pet’s bedding, and some toys. The washing machine makes short work of fleas. Don’t forget to wash your curtains as fleas will try to hide anywhere, they can.
4. Steam Clean Your Home- If you have lots of carpeting and fabric furniture, steam clean those items. The heat should kill the fleas as will the soap and water. Then sprinkle some baking soda or salt over those carpets and furniture to kill any fleas that lived.
5. Use Natural Anti-Flea Products- These can be sprayed or sprinkled just about anywhere you think fleas are hiding. It doesn’t take much to mix the ingredients together and start killing fleas.
6. Kill the Fleas That Are Outside- Those fleas like to hide in long grass, leafy bushes, or flowers. They sit there waiting for a host to come by. If you cut the grass, trim the bushes, and use pesticides you can kill those fleas before they enter your home or hitch a ride on your pet.
What do you do when you have fleas under your house? Check out our post “How to get rid of fleas under the house?”
How Long Will Fleas Live in a House with Pets?
There are a lot of different factors involved in answering this question. Adult fleas have been known to live a few days to up to 2 weeks when there is a pet in the house. Sometimes it is only 8 days on short hair animals and longer with long-haired ones.
But adult fleas are only part of your worry. Their eggs and larvae can hibernate up to two years approx. and can hatch or grow into adult fleas when you least expect them. What makes it difficult to get rid of fleas in your home is that they are not usually found on your cat or dog.
They will roll off your pet and reside wherever they land. That could be your bed, box spring, carpets, furniture, and other places. if you do not take care of them, they can turn into adult fleas in a short time.
The reason you want to get rid of fleas is that their bites are painful and annoying. Plus, they can be carrying different diseases. Being thorough in your cleaning helps prevent those fleas from harming your pets and family.
Some Final Words
Getting rid of the fleas in your home is a battle that has several fronts to it. You just need to select the best method for your living situation and do not let your pets mingle with strange dogs or cats.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases