Has your dog been itching a lot lately? It’s hard to watch isn’t it? Like humans, dogs can have spells of scratching and there are a variety of reasons. So, what oil is good for dog skin? Well here are 3 anti-itch oils for dogs which can relieve the itch.
The essential oils I will introduce all have great qualities like;
- insect repellent
- soothes irritated skin
- prevents infections
Important! Essential oils are very strong. Always dilute with a high quality carrier oil like MCT oil (fractional coconut oil) before applying to your dog. You should only use essential oils topically, never internally.
#1 Anti-Itch Oil for Dogs – Lavender
Now, you may wonder, what essential oils are good for itchy skin on dogs?The answer is simple, Lavender is king. Have you ever gone into the veterinarian’s office and smelled Lavender? In this regard, dogs and humans are quite similar. Lavender can have a calming effect on your pooch and it’s a great anti-itch oil for dogs. Lavender has many great qualities due to in being a full spectrum oil which in this case translates to anti-everything. Anti-bacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal and yes, anti-stress.
Holiday Barn warns, while lavender will work as an insect repellent, it doesn’t kill insects. Besides that, it makes a great anti-itch oil for dogs. Try applying lavender to an area after diluting. Dogs Natural wants you to know that, due to lavender not possessing any antioxidants compounds, oxidation may occur if stored too long, which can cause skin irritation and allergic responses.
It is a good idea to dilute lavender to 1% with a good carrier oil before applying to any infected or irritated areas.
#2 Anti-Itch Oil for Dogs – Roman Chamomile
Roman Chamomile not only smells great, but it has been shown to have a calming effect on dogs. Not only that, but it can alleviate skin irritations in dogs. It’s a great antibacterial, inflammatory, infectious, parasitic agent which can ease the suffering for your dog from itchy skin. According to Snooty Cats, it helps to relieve pain from infections and insect bites as well.
- If you would like, you can also add Chamomile tea bags to relieve minor skin irritation. After boiling tea bags, let them cool in the refrigerator and then apply to the irritated area. While it is not as strong as Chamomile oil, it still can have a positive effect on itchy, dry skin.
It is a good idea to dilute Roman Chamomile to 1% with a good carrier oil before applying to any infected or irritated areas.
#3 Anti-Itch Oil for Dogs – Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is a very potent essential oil for treating sensitive dog skin. Tea tree oil contains, terpenes. This element works great against bacterial, fungi and yeast infections. Applied correctly, this can aid in soothing and protecting your dog’s sensitive skin with it’s excellent anti-imflamatory quantities
So, how do you use tea tree oil on dogs for itching? Wild Earth recommends using it in extremely small quantities, or about 0.1% to 1% because it is extremely toxic to dogs. So, after you have diluted it with a good carrier oil or water, pat the infected or irritated area gently with the mixture. Do not use too much and never apply Tea Tree Oil directly to the skin.
Never use more than 1% with a good carrier oil before applying to any infected or irritated areas.
Tea Tree Oil is also great for killing fleas because it contains D-Lemonine. If you would like to use it, please follow the instructions below.
- Dilute tea tree oil down to 0.1% with another carrier oil.
- Put into a spray bottle.
- Take dog and spray bottle outside. (Because tea tree oil is so strong, it will stain most materials.)
- Spray your dog very lightly with the mixture. Do not spray to a point of making it wet.
- Do not get into their eyes.
- Stay clear of spraying eyes, ears, mouth and genital areas.
- Let your dog stay outside for about fifteen minutes to dry in the sun.
- Do NOT allow your dog to lick themselves where you have sprayed them for more than 15 minutes.
Here is a great video which will teach you all you need to know about this powerful anti-flea repellent.
Before you use any anti-itch oils for dogs, please be advised;
- According to Spruce Pets, if your dog has had a loss of appetite, restless, depressed or seems to be only concentrated on scratching, it might best to take him to the veterinarian who should be able to find the root cause of the itch. Especially if the scratching is chronic and your dog has developed open wounds and or infections.
- Essential oils, while natural, are quickly absorbed when applied topically and then metabolized by the liver, which can cause problems for puppies, small, older, pregnant or dogs with liver problems. Therefore, AKC recommends consulting a veterinarian before applying any essential oils to itchy areas of the skin.
- Never apply anti-itch oils to your dog’s genital area, eyes, mouth or nose.
- Always use only oils which are of pure, therapeutic grade levels.
- The chemicals used in essential oils for anti-itch for dog scratching remedies can cause irritation if applied directly to the skin. They must be diluted with carrier oils to be effective and not an irritant for the skin before applying. Some good carrier oils include coconut, almond, jojoba, olive and vegetable oil.
- Never dilute an essential oil with water.
- It is important to go in stages when dealing with essential oils. If there is no skin irritation after applying it 24 hours later, try two percent ,(except for Tea Tree Oil). And never go above two percent for any essential oils.
The Bottom Line
Essential oils can be very good for your dog’s itchy skin. However, you must consult with your veterinarian before you use any essential oils. Please be especially careful with Tea Tree Oil. Too much can be toxic and will endanger your dog’s life.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.