It is very common for dogs and puppies to get fleas. When a mama dog has fleas, she can pass them to her babies, making for a very itchy situation. The important questions here are what do you do to get rid of the fleas, and what is a safe treatment for puppies that you can do at home? Here is a recipe for DIY flea shampoo for puppies, and ideas for other ways to get rid of fleas when your puppies is too young for a bath.
Homemade Puppy Shampoo for Fleas and Greasy Hair
There is nothing worse than fleas. And although we might want to resort to extreme actions like shaving the pup bald, there are better and more effective ways to rid your pup of fleas. And best of all, I’m sure that you have two of the three ingredients in your own kitchen
- One quart of water
- One cup of white vinegar
- One cup of Dawn Dish Soap. (Dawn kills the fleas where others do not and is safe enough for your pup. Since it works great on dishes to remove grease, it will also remove your pup’s grease.)
- Prepare a nice warm bath for your pup.
- Place pup in it. (Use a soothing voice and praise him/her for being a good dog.)
- Try to keep your pup in the warm water for at least five minutes. (It is important to make sure that you drown the fleas and not the pup, right?)
- Use the mixture to lather up the dog.
- Be careful NOT to get the mixture in your pups eyes.
Other Ways to Get Rid of Fleas on a Puppy
Sometimes you need to get rid of the fleas now and don’t have all of the ingredients to make a homemade shampoo. Here are some other idea for getting rid of fleas on a puppy.
- If your puppy is younger than 8 weeks old, it is not recommended to bath them because puppies this young are unable to regulate their body temperature. Instead, use a flea comb and tweezers to groom your puppy. Be sure to treat the Mama dog as well as all of the bedding for fleas or your puppies will just become reinfested.
- If your puppy is older than 8 weeks- you can try bathing them in a mild soap and water bath. here are some recommended soaps that are safe enough to use according to Go New Mommy.
- Consult your Vet for suggestions. Your Veterinarian’s office will often have suggestions of what flea products will be safe for your puppy.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.