Help! My Dog Ate a Grape

Dog with head resting on table staring at grapes.

Grapes (as well as raisins) are poisonous for all types of dog breeds. The number of grapes that will cause toxicity can vary from one dog to another. For example, large breeds may not get affected by eating a few grapes. On the other hand, a single grape can be fatal for a small dog.

Why are Grapes Poisonous to Dogs?

The substance that makes grapes toxic for dogs is NOT within the fruit. Actually, there is fungal growth on the grapes and the toxins it produces are poisonous to dogs. These mycotoxins eliminate the tubular cells of the kidneys. This can cause serious medical implications like kidney failure, urinary issues, and even death.

Although this is the most likely explanation for grape-related toxicity, there are some other theories as well. Some people believe that pesticides could be responsible while grape poisoning was associated with idiopathic renal failure in historical cases.  

What Dosage of Grapes is Harmful to Dogs?

Yellow Labrador Retriever sitting in vinyard

The toxicity in grapes is dependent on the amount of fruit consumed and the size of the dog. This means that a smaller number of grapes will not do much damage to a large breed. A similar quantity of grapes can be extremely dangerous for a small dog.

In the case of raisins, extra care is needed because they are basically concentrated grapes. Therefore, an even smaller number of raisins can be troublesome.  

Did your dog get into your weed or weed edibles? Check out our post Help! My Dog Ate My Weed to learn about marijuana intoxication and poisoning in dogs.

My Dog Ate Two Grapes

According to some sources, if a dog ate a grape per kilogram of his/her weight, it can cause mild poisoning. If we stick to these estimations, a couple of grapes shouldn’t do any harm to your dog (unless it’s a puppy).

However, it has been observed that fewer grapes can also create serious problems for dogs. Therefore, it is highly advisable to be cautious with grapes and NEVER feed them to your pet.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning

Black and white dog sitting on window sill staring at grape vine.

Despite the fact that acute kidney failure is the ultimate outcome (if your dog eats grapes), there are some initial signs that can indicate grape poisoning. Some of the most common symptoms are listed below.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lack of urine
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dehydration

  Even if none of these symptoms appear but your dog ate some grapes, you should consider visiting the vet. 

If your dog eats grapes, you should always call your vet or the pet poison control line at: (888) 426-4435

What to Do When My Dog Ate a Grape?

Yellow Labrador Retriever Puppy laying down on kitchen floor

Just like other poisonings, time is the most important factor for the treatment of grape-related toxicity. The quicker you realize and react, the more are the chances of preventing any serious problem. The treatment of grape poisoning can be divided into the following three phases.  

Immediate Treatment

The very first thing that you can do to treat this emergency is to induce vomiting. This will prevent the toxins in the grape(s) from being absorbed in your dog’s system. If you don’t know the ways to induce vomiting, you should call your veterinarian for help. This method is effective only within the first two hours of ingestion.

You can use a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution for this purpose. Do remember that you should NEVER give more than 45 ml (3 teaspoons) of Hydrogen Peroxide at one time. In case the dog doesn’t vomit within 15 minutes, you can give him/her another dosage. If the dog still doesn’t vomit, it’s time to visit a veterinary facility.

Medical Treatment

Dog on exam table at vet

If the dog hasn’t vomited, the vet may start the medical treatment by making an attempt to induce vomiting. He/she may also use activated charcoal to ensure that the maximum amount of toxin is removed. Similarly, gastric lavage (pumping the stomach) is another helpful method to stop the effects of grape poisoning.

After that, IV fluid therapy will be performed to remove the harmful chemicals from your dog’s bloodstream. Likewise, these fluids will help in maintaining regular kidney function by encouraging urine production. In extreme cases, the vet will give the canine some medications for this purpose. Your dog may also require anti-vomiting drugs to avoid dehydration. 

Prevention

Dog and Child looking into refrigerator

Dogs are curious individuals who love to ingest almost everything. Therefore, it is critical to make sure that grapes and raisins are beyond their reach. You should NEVER let your canine companion eat a grape, even by mistake. All the family members must be aware that grapes are harmful to dogs so that their safety could be guaranteed.

Prevention is the most important step for saving your dog from any toxic food item. However, if the dog has ingested grapes, an immediate reaction can increase the chances of survival.

My Dog Ate Grape Jelly

grape jelly on bread with a bunch of  grapes and a jar of jelly in background

Grape jelly is made by using grape juice and a lot of sugar. Although the quantity of grapes is quite low in this jelly, it can still be toxic to dogs.

In addition to that, the presence of sugar means that grape jelly is an unsuitable product for your canine friends. Sugar can cause a lot of health issues (like diabetes) that can prove extremely dangerous in the long run. As dogs are not prone to eating sugar, they are even more prone (than us) to these diseases. Therefore, feeding your dog grape jelly is NOT a great idea.

If your dog ate grape jelly, you should immediately contact your veterinarian to discuss the issue. It is possible that the vet may ask you to visit the clinic to have a detailed examination. The extent of damage is dependent on the size of the dog and the amount of grape jelly consumed.

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.

admin
 

Hi! My name is Heather Hallman. I’m the mother of two beautiful girls and a MAJOR passionate pet parent. I can hardly wait to bring you the BEST resources and information that I've found for our fur-babies.