in

Help! My Dog Ate a Raisin

maltese laying next to grapes, raisins, onions, and avocado on hardwood floor

Although raisins are completely safe for humans, the same cannot be said about our canine companions. Grapes, raisins, and currants can all cause raisin poisoning in dogs.

Despite all the efforts, experts haven’t succeeded until now in determining the cause of this toxicity. All we know is that raisins are harmful to a canine because they damage his/her internal organs. If your dog ate a raisin, he/she will start vomiting and if left untreated, death is also possible. Here’s everything that you need to know about raisin poisoning in dogs.

Causes of Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

The only and obvious of raisin poisoning in canines is the ingestion of grapes, raisins, and other currants (some currants are small, black grapes). However, raisin can be consumed in several different forms, and each one of them is extremely dangerous for your pup. For instance, dogs can eat raisins in cookies, bread, and chocolate.  

The death toll of dogs due to raisin intake is always on the rise because many dog owners are unaware of its risks. For example, the consumption of any product containing a sufficient amount of raisins can lead to acute kidney failure in canines. Similarly, other commodities, like grapes and grape juice can also cause raisin poisoning in dogs.

My Dog Ate Chocolate Covered Raisins

Chocolate Covered Raisins

If you think your dog ate chocolate covered raisins, immediately induce vomiting, and take your dog to the vet. This is because chocolate and raisins both are deadly for your dog.  The vet will most likely advise you to monitor your dog’s kidney function until a detailed diagnosis is completed.

My Dog Ate Yogurt Covered Raisins

Yogurt Covered Raisins

Although yogurt is safe for canines, the toxicity of raisins is enough to create complications for your pup. Try to make your dog vomit and rush him/her to the vet. It’s possible that your dog might not show any signs of poisoning after eating a raisin. Even if that’s the case, it’s highly recommended to consult the vet to stay on the safe side.

My Dog Ate Raisin Bread

Raisin Bread

Raisin bread usually has very few small raisin pieces and most likely will not cause problems. However, you should make your dog vomit and then keep an eye out for symptoms of raisin poisoning. You can also seek professional advice by calling your veterinarian.

My Dog Ate a Raisin Bagel

Raisin Bagel

Even though bagel ingredients are non-toxic for dogs, raisins can prove fatal for them. No matter how many raisins were ingested, timely vomiting can make the treatment and recovery a lot easier. The best time is to induce the vomit immediately so that the maximum amount of toxins can be flushed out. Having said that, you do have a two-hour window to do it or to take your dog to a vet.

My Dog Ate a Raisin Cookie

Raisin Cookie

Just like any other raisin food, raisin cookies are also harmful to your dog. A successful vomit induction will likely be all that’s needed, but it’s better to consult your vet immediately for instructions.

Symptoms of Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

The primary reason why grapes are fatal for dogs is sudden kidney failure. The production of urine is stopped that ignites the chain of several other problems in the body.

The easiest way of diagnosing canine raisin poisoning at home is to examine the fecal matter. More often than not, partially digested raisin pieces can be found in your dog’s vomit and feces. There are NO distinctive signs of raisin poisoning, but the symptoms are often quite similar to kidney failure. If your dog ate a raisin, below are the symptoms to keep an eye out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Oliguria (passing less urine)
  • Seizures
  • Anuria (passing no urine)

What to Do If My Dog Ate Raisins?

Corgi at vet

If you think your dog has eaten raisins, immediately contact the vet for consultation. Alternatively, you can contact Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 to talk with an expert. Even if you are not sure about the ingestion of raisins, waste no time at all. It’s better to not take any chances because this type of poisoning can have additional effects on your dog.

Immediate Treatment

The primary goal of this phase is to block the absorption of the toxins inside the canine’s body. Similarly, you need to prevent or minimize damage to the kidneys by inducing immediate vomiting. This can be done by using hydrogen peroxide.

In addition to that, activated charcoal can be administered to prevent the absorption of toxins from the stomach and intestines. The sooner the poisoning is diagnosed, the less harm comes to the dog.

How to Treat a Dog Who Ate a Raisin?

Dog with vet chewing stethoscope

Once you are at the veterinarian clinic, the vet will try to induce vomiting if your canine has not thrown up already. After that, perform the procedure of gastric lavage (washing of the stomach) to flush the toxins. Follow it up with the use of activated charcoal.

The vet may also go for Intravenous Fluid Therapy for flushing out the toxins from the bloodstream and keeps the kidneys functioning. Your dog may also be given canine nausea and vomiting medications to help maintain a good flow to the kidneys.

Recovery of Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs are usually hospitalized for anywhere between 24 to hours 7 days for bloodwork to be done. Similarly, the health of kidneys is constantly monitored. Once the immediate signs of poisoning have been eliminated, the recovery period can be initiated. This includes the medications to keep your dog calm and healthy while it is being constantly looked after.

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.

Dog eating cat food with cat

Help! My Dog Ate Cat Food

2 brownies topped with chocolate

Help! My Dog Ate a Brownie