Help! My Dog Ate Garlic Powder

bowl of garlic powder surrounded by loose garlic cloves

Just like its raw form, powdered garlic is also poisonous for dogs. In the past, garlic was used as a home remedy to treat flea infestations. Over the years, it has been proved that not only is it ineffective but it can also be dangerous for pets. For this reason, Pet Poison Helpline doesn’t recommend pet owners to use garlic for treating flea infections.

My Dog Ate Onion and Garlic Powder

3 bowls with onion powder, garlic powder  and dried minced garlic

Although a small amount of onion and garlic is not harmful to dogs, larger quantities could be disastrous. Thiosulfate is the chemical that makes them toxic because it can lead to hemolytic anemia in canines. In this condition, red blood cells are broken down and the transferring of oxygen around the body is hampered. Consequently, your dog will show symptoms like lethargy, rapid breathing, and weakness.

In addition to that, garlic poisoning also affects the digestive system of canines. The signs of gastrointestinal troubles include vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. In order to limit the damage, the very first thing that you may need to do is to induce vomiting. However, it is NOT recommended to go for it on your own without consulting the vet.

If your dog eats garlic, you should always call your vet or the pet poison control line at: (888) 426-4435

What to Do If My Dog Ate Garlic Powder?

Basset hound wrapped in white blanket with head down as if sick

Despite the fact that garlic poisoning is rarely fatal, it is an extremely serious condition. If you observe any symptoms in your dog, you must immediately take him/her to your veterinarian. The more time you waste, the more dangerous it will be for your companion.

Diagnosis

The medical history of the dog and your description of the symptoms will be crucial for the diagnosis process. The vet will examine the canine closely while paying special attention to the breathing and heart rate.

Additionally, the vet will perform various laboratory tests to determine the severity of the situation. Some of these tests include urinalysis, CBC, packed cell volume and blood glucose levels. In extreme cases, ultrasound and liver biopsy might be used to ensure that the liver is fine.   

Treatment

If the garlic powder was ingested recently, the vet will try to induce vomiting. This will help in removing the toxins from the dog’s body. Generally, hydrogen peroxide is used for this purpose.

Similarly, activated charcoal could be administered to detoxify the digestive tract of the canine. In the case of dehydration (due to vomiting and/or diarrhea), IV fluids could also be used.

On the other hand, if the incident happened hours ago, the canine might need advanced treatment. In such cases, a saline solution lavage is used to remove the toxins from the dog’s system. If the dog shows severe signs of anemia, a blood transfusion might be performed. Likewise, iron medications could be prescribed to stimulate the production of red blood cells.   

My Dog Ate a Bottle of Garlic Powder

bottle of garlic powder on its side spilling out the contents with garlic cloves

It is true that little quantity of garlic is NOT toxic to dogs. However, if your dog ate a whole bottle of garlic powder, things can turn ugly real quick. Therefore, you must acknowledge the essence of every second and take your pet to the vet as fast as possible. The common symptoms of garlic poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, urine discoloration, and excessive thirst.

While you are on your way to vet, make sure that the dog has an ample supply of water and food. If your canine is willing to eat ultra-burnt toast, the charcoal in them could be helpful in neutralizing the toxins.

Other than poisoning, ingesting a plastic bottle can lead to internal bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. The small, sharp pieces of plastic can damage the lining of your dog’s stomach or intestines. Therefore, veterinarian help is necessary.

My Dog Ate Garlic Fries

cone of garlic fries on table with fork and condiments

Are you worried that your dog has eaten some garlic fries from your plate? There is no need to panic because a small amount of garlic is not harmful to dogs. However, it is important to keep an eye for any poisoning symptoms, like diarrhea and vomiting. If you observe any of these signs in your canine, you must seek professional help.

Another thing that should ease your nerves is that the fries have garlic powder (less potent) in them. As we know that garlic toxicity is dependent on the size of the pet, a large dog will digest them easily. On the other hand, extra care is recommended if you own a small breed.  

My Dog Ate Garlic Hummus

bowl of hummus

Although Hummus is delicious, it is not necessarily safe for dogs to ingest. This is because it contains garlic powder (seasoning) that can be dangerous for canines. Having said that, the quantity of garlic in Hummus is so little that it is highly unlikely to intoxicate a dog.

If your pet ate a larger quantity of Hummus, he/she can show signs of gastrointestinal distress. It is just the reaction of consuming an unusual meal and has nothing to do with garlic poisoning. Therefore, stay calm and make sure that such accidents don’t happen again.

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.

admin
 

Hi! My name is Heather Hallman. I’m the mother of two beautiful girls and a MAJOR passionate pet parent. I can hardly wait to bring you the BEST resources and information that I've found for our fur-babies.