Skip to Content

What Foods are Toxic to Pugs?

pug looking at table with a cup with 2 chopsticks in it, and a wooden tray of pastries

Pugs are adorable, lovable, and loyal companions, and ensuring their safety is of utmost importance. Unfortunately, several foods can be dangerous to your beloved pup if ingested. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of what foods to avoid feeding your pug. Keep reading to know about foods that are toxic to Pugs so that you could keep them safe and protected.

Why do pug tails curl? Click here to find out.

Toxic Foods for Pugs

When it comes to the health and well-being of our beloved pugs, we all want to do whatever we can to ensure they get the best nutrition possible. But some foods can be highly toxic and even deadly for our pug friends. It’s essential to be aware of these foods and ensure they never find their way into your pug’s mouth. Let’s look at some of the most dangerous foods that can be toxic to pugs.


Chocolate bar and squares isolated on a white background.

Chocolate is one of the most dangerous foods for pugs. It contains a substance called theobromine, which is highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of chocolate can be fatal if consumed by pugs. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Even a tiny amount of dark chocolate can cause serious health issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death.

Can Pugs Eat Oranges? Click here to find out.

Grapes and Raisins

Purple grapes and raisins isolated on a white background.

Grapes and raisins can be highly toxic to pugs, and even a tiny amount can cause serious health issues. They are known to cause kidney failure in pugs, so it’s best to avoid them altogether. Even the most minor amounts can lead to vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and lethargy. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pug has consumed any amount of grapes or raisins.

Why are Pugs So Clingy? Click here to learn more.

Onions and Garlic

An onion and a garlic bulb isolated on a white background.

Onions and garlic are foods that are toxic to Pugs. Eating even small amounts of either of these can be fatal for a pug, as they contain organ sulfoxides which can cause anemia in dogs. Overeating can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can lead to dehydration, kidney failure, and death in severe cases. Therefore, it’s essential always to keep these foods away from your pug.


An avocado cut in half isolated on a white background.

Avocados contain a toxin called persin that can be toxic to pugs. Ingestion of this toxin can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. The highest concentration of persin is in the fruit, pit, and leaves, but all parts of the avocado plant should be avoided. It is best to keep avocados away from your pug.


A wooden bowl full of Xylitol crystals isolated on a white background.

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener in many processed foods and candies and a sugar substitute in many products like toothpaste and chewing gum. It can be toxic to pugs, causing a drop in blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and even death. If your pug ingests anything containing xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment.

Citrus Fruits

A variety of citrus fruits isolated on a white background.

Citrus fruits, such as oranges, lemons, and limes, contain compounds that can cause stomach discomfort in pugs. They can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. While citrus fruits are not particularly dangerous for pugs, it’s best to avoid feeding them to your pug.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia Nuts isolated on a white background.

Macadamia nuts are toxic to pugs and should be avoided. These nuts contain an unknown toxin that can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs if ingested. Symptoms can begin within 12 hours of ingestion and last up to 48 hours. If your pup has eaten macadamia nuts, contact your veterinarian for advice on how to proceed.


Portobello mushrooms isolated on a white background.

Many mushrooms contain toxins that can be fatal to Pugs, so avoiding them is essential. Even if a mushroom is not inherently toxic, it can still cause an allergic reaction in some dogs. It’s best to keep your pug away from wild mushrooms growing in the woods. If you must feed mushrooms to your pug, get them from a reputable source that has been tested for safety.


A whisky decanter and a whisky glass containing an amber liquid, isolated on a white background.

Alcohol can be hazardous for pugs, even in small amounts. It can cause dehydration, liver and brain damage, and even death. The signs of alcohol poisoning in pugs can include drooling, vomiting, loss of coordination, and respiratory distress. If your pug ingests any alcohol, take them to the vet immediately. Even small amounts can have serious consequences.

Corn on the Cob

3 ears of corn isolated on a white background.

Corn on the cob is one of the foods toxic to Pugs. Eating this food can cause gastrointestinal distress in your pup, leading to vomiting and diarrhea. Corn is also difficult to digest and can cause an obstruction in the intestines. Eating corn on the cob may also lead to pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas. It is best to avoid feeding corn on the cob to your pug as it can be hazardous to their health.

Cooked Bones

3 cooked meat bones isolated on a white background.

Cooked bones can be a choking hazard and cause internal injuries in pugs due to their small size and delicate digestive systems. They can splinter into sharp pieces when chewed, causing damage to the throat, stomach, and intestines of a pug. Furthermore, these sharp pieces can get lodged in the throat, causing severe injury.

Coconuts and Coconut Oil

1/2 of a coconut and a bottle of coconut oil isolated on a white background.

Coconuts and coconut oil are potentially toxic to pugs, as they can cause an upset stomach. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat and can lead to pancreatitis and digestive problems. Additionally, the shell of a coconut can obstruct the pug’s digestive system. If your pup has ingested any of these items, it is essential to take them to the vet as soon as possible.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.