No, they can’t. Grapes are highly toxic to Chihuahuas and shouldn’t be given to them in any form (raisins, currants, etc). Although the exact reason for toxicity is unknown, a single grape can be detrimental to the health of your pooch. Keep reading to know about the symptoms of grape poisoning and learn how to react if your Chihuahuas eat grapes.
A lot of dogs love water, but what about Chihuahuas? Can Chihuahuas Swim? Click here to learn more.
Why Can’t Chihuahuas Eat Grapes?
Grapes are poisonous to dogs and are linked with sudden kidney failure (and even death). The exact cause of toxicity is not known but dogs are unable to metabolize the different chemicals in grapes. Some of these chemicals include flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides. Scientists believe that this could be the reason for toxicity but there isn’t any scientific proof to back the hypothesis.
Every dog behaves differently to certain foods and it’s possible for some canines to not get affected by grapes. However, it doesn’t mean that you can feed this toxic fruit to your pooch. The general rule of thumb is that the smaller the dog, the smaller quantity of grapes can cause harm. Chihuahuas are extremely small and a single grape can be fatal for your canine friend. Hence, you must be cautious at all times and keep your dog away from grapes.
What Happens if a Chihuahua Eats a Grape?
Vomiting and diarrhea are often the first signs of grape toxicity and would appear within the first few hours of ingestion. You will also notice your pooch to avoid any food (decreased appetite) and drink more water (dehydration). Increased urination and lethargy are also among the common symptoms of grape poisoning.
All these signs are common with several illnesses and can be misleading for the owner. If a dog is left untreated for too long after ingesting grapes, kidney failure is the most likely result. In extreme cases, death is also a possibility. Therefore, it’s highly recommended to visit your vet if you notice all of these signs.
What to Do if Chihuahuas Eat Grapes?
If your pooch has eaten grapes, time is of great essence and immediate treatment is critical. Some dogs don’t show any symptoms in the first few hours after eating grapes. Even if that’s the case, you should contact your vet immediately for guidance.
The vet can tell you to induce vomiting at home if your Chihuahua is not having trouble breathing. Alternatively, he/she may ask you to take your pup to an emergency facility if blood work and IV therapy are needed. In either case, you should respond quickly but panic is not an option for the owner.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.