And don’t worry – there is no yeast in this recipe.
So, you don’t have to get up extra early to make Puppers their buns in the morning!
Just freeze them without the drizzle and pull them out to thaw when you want to use them.
While yours are baking, you can drizzle theirs!
Homemade Cinnamon Bun Dog Biscuits
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water or milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) honey
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Cream cheese drizzle (optional):
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) light cream cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp. (15-30 mL) milk or water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl stir together water, oil, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until you have a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat the dough into a rectangle that measures roughly 8×14-inch. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts, if using. Starting from a long edge, roll up jelly-roll style and pinch the edge to seal. Using a sharp serrated knife or (even better) dental floss, slice half an inch thick and place slices cut side down on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until springy to the touch. Wait until they have cooled completely before you spread them with cream cheese.
- Makes about 2 dozen biscuits. Store extra in a tightly covered container and freeze. If they are frosted, store the container in the fridge.
I can’t wait to try this recipe one Sunday morning.
Of course, my cinnamon buns will come out of a tube and come from Pillsbury.
I think the Pups will have better treats than we do!
But that’s ok… I spoil them.
For more great recipes, try No-Bake Coconut Dog Treats or Carrot & Banana Dog Treat Recipe.