Just like cooking for humans, cooking for your dog can be a lot of fun, and a lot healthier than some commercial foods that are out on the market. The great thing about making food at home for your pup is that you know what goes in to the meal. You get to pick the freshest ingredients, and decide what veggies to add to your homemade dog meatloaf based on what your dog likes.
Dog’s like to eat human food, too. Check out our post “Meatloaf for Dogs” and give these great recipes a try.
Dog Meatloaf with Rice
This simple 5 ingredient dog meatloaf recipe couldn’t be easier. Just meat, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese, and rice, and your pup will have a great, tasty meal that you can feel good about feeding them.
- 3 cups Meat
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetables Chopped or Grated
- 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Rice
- Mix everything together and roll into a loaf.
- Put it in a roasting pan and bake it for 80 minutes at 175 degrees.
Want a leaner meat recipe to try for your dog? Give our “Turkey Meatloaf for Dogs” recipes a try.
Dog Meatloaf with Sweet Potatoes
This meatloaf recipe comes packed with nutrition and flavor and would be perfect for your pups supper. It’s also a great way to add veggies to your dog’s diet.
- 5 Lb Ground Beef May substitute or mix ground chicken also
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Cooked or Uncooked
- 2 cups Green Beans Fresh or Frozen
- 4-5 Carrots Chopped or Ground, or Sweet Potatoes-fresh, frozen or canned
- 3-4 cups Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1 Large Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 6-8 Potatoes Peeled and Cooked - Peels aren't good for dogs- You may substitute with dry instant potato flakes- 2 cups
- 1/4 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/2 cup Oats
- In the largest bowl you own, mix all together. Wear gloves and include the kids – this is fun and messy! It’s a little easier to mix it all if the vegetables are ground in a food processor first. You can add some cooked or uncooked pasta, chicken pulled from the bones, other vegetables, evensome stale crackers if you like. My dogs love just a little cheese too.
- Mix until it’s the consistency of regular meatloaf adding more broth or water as necessary. Some batches require more liquid if they have pasta or more rice and such in them. Spread in the largest pan you have. I use my lasagna pan. Bake at 375°F for about 40-50 minutes. It will smell delicious.My dogs sit and stare at the oven when I make it.
- Cool and serve or cut into squares and refrigerate or freeze.This is a large batch and freezes well for smaller dogs. Larger dogs get a larger square. I have one large dog, one medium dog and one small dog. All three take about 2 weeks to eat the entire pan.
If you really like to cook, making your dog’s food from scratch can really be a rewarding task. You can even mix things up a bit by trying these recipes using different meats and vegetables.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please note: We are not veterinarians and you use our advice at your own discretion. We always recommend that you consult your veterinarian whenever you have health-related conditions your furbaby is facing. With that in mind, as pet parents ourselves, we wish nothing but the best for your pet and their healthy and happy lives.