You’ve made meatloaf for supper and your whole house smells amazing. You sit down to the table to eat and realize your pup is staring at you with the saddest eyes as he begs for a piece. Giving your dog your human meatloaf isn’t always possible, especially if you have added onion and a lot of garlic. However, you can make meatloaf for your dog by taking a human meatloaf recipe and exchanging the bad ingredients for healthier ones.
Adding oatmeal to your dog’s meatloaf is a great way to add some fiber to their diet. And since oatmeal is already a common ingredient in dog food, chances are your pup has eaten it before.
Dog Meatloaf with Oatmeal
I love using oatmeal in human meatloaf and it works just as well in pup loaf recipes! Oatmeal binds the meat together and is soothing to dogs that have sensitive tummies.
Thanks you petguide.com for this great recipe!
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1-1/2 Cups Rolled Oats (You can use gluten free oats if you want.)
- 1-1/2 Cups Grated Mixed Vegetables (Use your dog's favorite veggies- I used broccoli, carrots, and apple.)
- 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Hand-mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined thoroughly. Press evenly into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze in slices for easy serving.
Want a leaner meat recipe to try for your dog? Give our “Turkey Meatloaf for Dogs” recipes a try.
Dog Meatloaf Recipe
Using oatmeal in meatloaf may be a common practice, but did you know that you can also use Total cereal? What a great way to add grains and vitamins to your dog’s diet.
Magic Meatloaf for Dogs
This pup loaf recipe particularly well suited to dogs that have allergies or food sensitivities. It can turn digestive problems around really quickly for many dogs.
A big thanks to danesonline.com for this recipe.
- 5 lb Hamburger Meat (85% lean--can use sausage-like meat of any kind that is unspiced, so allergic dogs can have lamb, turkey etc.) You can also use a 3:2 muscle meat to organ meat recipe, but the livers, etc. must be ground.
- 1 lg box Total Breakfast Cereal (any complete dry boxed cereal).
- 1 lg box Oatmeal (rolled quick oats are fine, otherwise cook first).
- 1 jar Wheat Germ
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Unsulfured Molasses
- 12 Eggs
- 2 boxes/ 8 envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 pinch Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs, add in molasses & oil, & stir into dry.
- Knead the raw meat into the mixture to distribute it evenly. (Wash hands, etc. after handling raw meat, etc.)
- Press into cake pans. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
- Can freeze extra & thaw as needed.
- To learn more about giving your dog garlic products, click here.
- This is a classic of vet clinics & breeders, for increasing appetite & putting on weight.
- This meatloaf should be refrigerated, but can be rewarmed or even carried in a cooler for a show/camping, etc. weekend.
Celebrate you dog with a meatloaf cake for their birthday this year. Check out our post “Dog Meatloaf Cake Recipe” to try these great recipes.
You don’t have to limit yourself to only using beef, pork, and chicken in your meatloaf recipes. Lamb is another great meat that most dogs find delicious. This is also a great recipe for hiding those pesky healthy vegetables that help make your pup healthy and strong.
Lamb Loaf for Dogs – Awesome Doggy Meatloaf
Lamb is a great meat for dogs. Most dogs find it very tasty, but it can be pricey depending on where you live. You can also substitute ground turkey or ground beef in this recipe.
Thank you to The Bark for this amazing meatloaf recipe.
- 2 lb Ground Lamb
- 1 cup Organic Oatmeal -We prefer a minimally processed steel-cut whole-grain oat, like Irish oatmeal
- 3/4 cup Organic Flaxseed Meal or Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Fresh Organic Parsley -Finely chopped
- 2 large Organic Eggs
- 2 cups Organic Vegetables -Fresh or frozen- Use a variety of vegetables, such as peas, corn, diced cooked potatoes, and grated carrots; do not include onion.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the oven rack in the middle slot.
- Mix all the ingredients together with your hands.
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan, or use a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and form a loaf in the center. You can also use a roasting pan, just space the loaf in the middle of it, (you can cook potatoes or sweet potatoes in the pan at the same time too. )
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Feed according to your dog’s size and calorie needs.
No matter which recipe you use to make your pup an exciting homemade meal, just remember to remove the items they should not have such as onions and salt. Replacing them with other flavors that your dog may enjoy, like carrots and green beans, will make the meatloaf an extra special treat.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please note: We are not veterinarians and you use our advice at your own discretion. We always recommend that you consult your veterinarian whenever you have health-related conditions your furbaby is facing. With that in mind, as pet parents ourselves, we wish nothing but the best for your pet and their healthy and happy lives.