It can be quite challenging to find the right training treats for your dog, especially for new owners. This is because the market is flooded with options and you can get confused about the long list of ingredients. Making these treats at home gives you complete control over your dog’s calorie intake. Keep reading to know about some of the best homemade recipes to make training dog treats.
Apple Pretzels for Dogs
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups of almond flour
- 1 egg
- Heat the oven to 350o F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Take a small bowl and crack the egg into it. Beat the egg and set the bowl aside.
- Now, take a large bowl and put the almond flour into it.
- Add applesauce to the almond flour to make a mixture.
- Then, pour most of the beaten egg into the flour mixture. Save about a tablespoon of the egg for brushing the treats (for baking).
- Keep stirring the mixture until it turns into consistent dough.
- Take a ball of dough (about 2 tablespoons of mixture) and roll it to form a tube.
- Now, give the desired shape (pretzels in our case) to the dough.
- Once you are done, place the dog treats (pretzels) on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the treats lightly with the preserved egg and bake them for about 25-30 minutes.
- When the pretzels are golden brown and firm, allow them to cool before serving them to your dog.
Want to make your dog homemade dog treats with no wheat based flour? Check out our post “Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats Without Flour”.
Liver Training Treats for Dogs
- ¼ Cup Liver Sprinkles
- 2 ¼ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Over Ripe Banana
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- Heat the oven to 400o F.
- Peel the banana and put it into the food processor.
- Add coconut oil and liver sprinkles and mix until well blended.
- Then, add 2 cups of flour and water and mix again until fully blended.
- Dust the counter with the remaining flour and pour the blended mixture onto it.
- Use your hands to press the mixture and form a large ball (dough).
- Roll down this ball with a rolling pin. Keep doing it until the thickness of the dough is about that of 2 pie crusts placed on top of each other.
- Then, cut the dough into small pieces (about ½ inch by ½ inch) by using a knife or pizza cutter. You can alter the size of pieces but keep in mind that it will also change the baking time.
- Put these pieces on a prepared baking sheet while ensuring sufficient space between them.
- Place the baking sheet inside the oven and bake the homemade training dog treats for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow them to cool before serving.
Tuna Dog Treats for Training
- 5 oz. Tuna, canned
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, put flour, egg, and cheese.
- Then, add the tuna to the bowl and mix all the ingredients well (with your hands) to form a dough.
- Now, prepare an 8″ x 8″ baking dish (with cooking spray).
- After that, press the dough into the baking dish, making sure that the layer is even throughout the dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes before removing the dough from the oven.
- Shift it to a cutting board and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut it into small pieces (about the size of a thumbnail).
- Put these small pieces back into the baking dish and bake again for about 40-60 minutes (at 275o F).
- Check the treats at 40 minutes. If they are not done, check them every 5 minutes until they are dried and golden brown.
- Let the treats cool before giving them to your furry friend.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.