Codfish makes a great addition to your favorite pooch’s healthy eating plan. Full of omega-3 fatty acids & protein, cod may easily be your dog’s favorite fish ever. These recipes will show you how to cook codfish for your dogs.
Cod & Green Beans Recipe
This cod & green beans recipe is excellent for your dog’s evening dinner, and it’s a two-course meal!! You can also serve it in half portions over top of their usual dry kibble as a supplement to really make them drool! Serves ten dinners for toy breeds.
- 2.5 lbs. of Fresh Wild Caught Cod
- 2.25 lbs. of Green Beans (36 oz.)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Ground Turmeric
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Pour some olive oil on a baking sheet, place the cod on the sheet and sprinkle with turmeric, a sprinkle of pink salt, and some more olive oil.
- Place cod in a preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While the fish is cooking, cook the green beans via your preferred cooking method. If boiling or steaming, use filtered water and salt the water.
- Take the fish out of the oven and make sure it’s thoroughly cooked with a cooking thermometer. Place it on a plate to cool for about five minutes.
- Place codfish in a food processor and grind for several seconds.
- Grind the green beans also until they are very small pieces and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve 1/2 a cup of green beans and 1/2 a cup of cod per day.
- Can be frozen, thaw in the refrigerator & heat gently before serving.
Thank you to Blue Skies for Me Please for this great recipe.
Cod Fish Chowder for Dogs
Everyone enjoys a great chowder — why not your pups? This great dish adds veggie chunks for your dog to chow down on and leaves a bowl to lick clean.
- 1 pkg cod filets (no skin, no bones) 4 filets total
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 large summer squash (yellow squash)
- 4 c cabbage, shredded
- 2 c scrambled eggs (can be leftover)
- ½ golden delicious apple, cut in small bite-size pcs, no core & no seeds
- 1 tsp eggshell calcium
- 1/2 c pure pumpkin, plain (nothing else in the can!)
- 2 ½ c brown rice, cooked
- Bone broth or water
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the cod filets. Cover & cook until flake apart easily. Break them up into flakes.
- Add the cutup summer squash, cabbage, scrambled eggs, apple, pure pumpkin & calcium. Stir to mix and cover and let simmer for about 10 to 15 min.
- While this is going on, cook up 2 ½ cups of rice according to package directions.
- When the rice is done, add the fish & veggie mixture & stir well.
- Add enough bone broth or water to make a soup.
Special thanks to JustaPinch.com for this recipe.
Homemade Fish & Sweet Potato Dog Food
This recipe combines two powerhouse ingredients to tempt your dog to a healthy dinner – fish & sweet potatoes! And with just a few ingredients, it’s a great way to feed a pup with food sensitivities.
- 2 or three cod fish fillets
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Powdered multivitamin supplement (optional)
- Boil your fish in a shallow pan. Remember: Simple is better! Don’t add any spices.
- Once the fish is opaque, chop it up into bite-sized pieces. Alternatively, you can break it up into flakes with a fork. If you opt to use whole fish, make sure to remove any bones.
- To prepare the sweet potato, peel the skin and boil it in water until it’s tender. Then, drain the water and mash it with a fork.
- Assembling your ingredients is easy. Though, it takes a bit of measuring. Combine a cup of fish with half a cup of mashed sweet potato. Again, you can scale up if you want to prepare the meal in bulk.
- Drizzle in some olive oil and add your vitamin supplement. Then, mix everything until it’s fully incorporated into an enticing mash for your dog.
Thank you to Avid Pup for this great recipe.
Brown Rice & Cod Recipe
This recipe will make your dog’s eyes shine with excitement when they smell it. And with the healthy fats, veggies, and eggs… their coat will shine, too!
- 5 lbs. of cod
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 1/4 cup of carrots
- 1/4 cup of peas
- 1/3 cup of plain yogurt
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- Heat oven to 320 degrees.
- Wrap fish in foil with a bit of water and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Cook rice as directed.
- Cook peas and place carrots in a food processor.
- Mix veggies and yogurt in a bowl and set aside.
- Hard boil the eggs and place them in a food processor.
- Mix all ingredients and let completely cool before serving. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Special thanks to Milo’s Meals for this great recipe.
Cod Fish & Wild Rice Recipe
This recipe has some of the same great features as the last one, but it mixes up the veggies! Give your dog a bit of variety, and some extra nutrition, too.
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 Cup of ancient wild rice blend
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Prep and cut all your vegetables into small bite-sized portions.
- Boil the eggs for 12 minutes and cook the wild rice in a rice cooker for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your pan to medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook the cod fillet until the fillet’s surface turns into a golden-brown color.
- Add the zucchini and the cucumbers. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and chop the cod fillet into small chunks.
- Your eggs should be ready by now! Remove the egg from heat and rinse it with cold water. Next, immerse the eggs into an ice bath. Once the eggs are cooled, you can now peel the eggs with ease.
- Plate your dish with wild rice and the rest of your entrée. Add half of the egg to make it a delicious, balanced meal.
There you have it! Our favorite 5 recipes to cook cod for your dogs! These healthy dinners will have your dog licking the plate… and your face in thanks.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.