Being curious creatures, dogs are extremely fond of chewing and scratching things. Consequently, you do need to have a collection of dog toys to save the furniture from your canine companion. Given the price of commercial alternatives, it is impossible to tackle your pup’s boredom without homemade toys. The following collection of homemade dog toys will ensure that your pet stays busy.
Water Bottle Dog Toy
This is a perfect toy for all those dogs who love crinkly sounds. It is incredibly easy to make and will not take more than a few minutes.
- A plastic water bottle
- About a yard of fabric
- 1 pair of scissors
- 6-8 pieces of dog treat
- Roll the empty plastic bottle in the cloth.
- Once the bottle is wrapped completely, cut off the remaining fabric. Start by cutting the extra cloth horizontally and then remove the fabric vertically from both sides of the bottle. This will leave you with a square-shaped cloth.
- Now, you need to cut strips (about 1-inch wide) on top as well as the bottom of this fabric.
- Put a few pieces of your dog’s favorite treat in the bottle and wrap the fabric around it once again.
- Lastly, tie the strips together to complete the dog toy.
NOTE: Make sure that the dog doesn’t chew on the cap of the bottle and replace the bottle in case of any damage.
Tennis Ball and T-shirt Tug Toy
This DIY tug toy can keep your dog occupied for hours. Similarly, you can also indulge in a refreshing play session with your pup by tossing it around. So what are you waiting for? Grab a couple of your old T-shirts and create this homemade dog toy.
- 1 Tennis Ball
- 2 T-shirts
- A pair of Scissors
- A cutter
- Use the scissors to make 5-8cm wide slits at the bottom of both T-shirts.
- Once you have made the cuts, tear the slits apart to form individual strips.
- Take 3 strips and braid them together. Tie a knot on each end of the braid. Repeat this process to make 3 braids.
- Now, tie one of the braids around the other two and secure it with a knot.
- After that, cut an opening on either end of the tennis ball with the help of a cutter.
- Lastly, push one of the braids through the tennis ball to complete the toy.
DIY Dog Flirt Pole
Dogs love to chase and a flirt pole gives them an ideal opportunity to indulge in rigorous physical activity. A 5-minute game with a flirt pole burns a sufficient amount of energy to satisfy your pup. For this reason, it is one of the most popular dog toys that you can make at home.
- A piece of PVC pipe (around 3-5 feet long)
- A PVC elbow
- Athletic tape
- Stopping washers
- A prey (could be anything like a stuffed toy or water bottle)
- Attach the PVC elbow to one end of the PVC pipe. Take the Paracord and pass it through the PVC pipe and elbow.
- Drop the stopping washers to the Paracord that is coming out of the PVC elbow and tie a securing knot. These washers will act as a stopper to prevent the cords from running through.
- Tie a knot on the other end of the Paracord to make space for the prey. Hang the prey into the Paracord loop.
- In the end, use the athletic tape to make a grip and the flirt pole is ready.
Tennis Ball Muffin Puzzle for Dogs
Are you looking for an interactive way to entertain your canine? The muffin tin puzzle is a great way to give your dog some mental stimulation. This homemade dog game is extremely economical and hardly takes a minute to set up. Simply place some dog treats in the muffin tin and let your pet solve the puzzle.
- Muffin Tin
- 12 Tennis Balls
- Dog Treats
- Break the dog treats in small pieces and place them in some cups of the muffin tin.
- Use the tennis balls to hide the treats by filling all the muffin cups.
- Present the muffin tin to your dog and let him/her find the treats by removing the balls.
Long-lasting Tug Toy
Are you looking for a durable tug toy for your heavy chewer? This homemade dog toy can help you achieve this goal.
- 2 different-colored Fleece fabrics (grey and pink)
- A pair of Scissors
- Start the process by cutting some fabric strips. You will need a total of 3 strips.
- Cut 2 strips from the grey fleece (10×60 cm each). Then, cut the pink strip that will be longer and narrower (5×120 cm) than the grey ones.
- Grab both the wider strips together and wrap the narrower strip (folded in half) around them. Tie a couple of overhand knots with the narrower strip to make the bond secure.
- Now, you need to braid all three of these fleece strands until you reach the end of the strips.
- After the braiding is complete, grab all the ends together and tie an overhand knot. Make sure that the knot is tight by pulling it securely.
- This gives you a braided rope. Repeat the entire process to make another rope.
- Grab both the braided ropes together and make an overhand knot. Pull the ropes to tighten the knot. The long-lasting tug toy for your dog is ready!
Homemade Rope Ball for Puppy
- 8 feet of Manila or Jute rope
- Dog treats
- Make 3 loops of the rope around your hand.
- Now, cross 3 loops in the other direction to give it the shape of a ball.
- After that, pass the rope thrice through the holes in both sides of the ball.
- Insert the treats into the ball.
- Tighten and tuck the ends of the rope to complete the toy.
NOTE: It’s highly recommended to supervise your dog with this toy because it can pose a choking hazard if the canine tears the rope itself.
Looking for more toys to make for your dog? Here are 3 easy braided dog toys you can make at home.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.