Dog bandanas are not only adorable, but are a very easy to make fashion statement. Want to dress your dog according to the holiday? Change the fabric. These affordable, handmade bandana are so easy to make, you will want dozens of them for your dogs. And the good news is, we will show you step by step how to make them.
Need a “Pattern for Dog Bandanas Over the Collar”? Click here to learn more.
Dog Bandana- Sewing Machine Version
- Fun Printed Cotton Fabric
- Thread- Color of your choice
- Rotary cutting tool (optional)
- Cutting mat (optional)
- Sewing Machine
- Measure the length of your dogs collar. Measure and cut a square of fabric to match the length of your collar. Ex. 16 inch collar, you want to cut your fabric 16 inches x 16 inches.
- Fold the square of fabric on the diagonal and iron it.
- Measure the long side of your triangle of fabric. Subtract the length of the dog collar. Take that number and divide it in half. That will be the amount of fabric you cut away from the long side of the triangle at each end. If your fabric is 23 inches and your collar is 16 inches, you will be removing 3 inches from each end. Be sure to square off your cuts.
- Open up your triangle. On the edge that you just cut, fold over the fabric by 1/2 inch. Your fabric should be wrong side touching wrong side. Crease this, or iron it to keep it in place. On your sewing machine, you are going to stitch that fold in place. Repeat this for the other side.
- Once that is done, fold your fabric back along the diagonal so that the right sides are touching.
- Sew from the edge of the folded opening, down to the point, leaving the folded area open. This will be where your collar slips through. Repeat this for the other side.
- Through one of the openings, turn your fabric right side out and iron it. You can stop after this step and use the bandana just by slipping the collar through, or if you are sewing it, you can do these finishing steps for a nicer finished project.
- Sew a straight like from the bottom of the opening on the left, to the bottom of the opening on the right. From there, you want to sew from the bottom of the opening to the point on each side. Be sure to leave both side openings open.
- Slide your dog collar through the opening.
No sewing machine? No Problem. Here is “How to Make a No Sew Dog Bandana”.
Some Final Words
These sewn bandanas really are a fun craft. Don’t own a sewing machine? You can use these same instructions (minus a couple of steps), but replace the sewing with a good fabric glue. All of your doggie friends will love them.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.