Dogs look so cute in bandanas, and they really are simple to make. The following tutorial and pattern will be for an over the collar style bandana. Don’t have a sewing machine? Have a sewing machine, but nervous about making new things? No problem. In this article, we will cover a sew version and a no sew version with tutorial videos.
No Sew Over the Collar Dog Bandana
- Fabric Glue
- Dog collar
Over the Collar Dog Bandana -Sew Version
- Fun Printed Cotton Fabric
- Thread- Color of your choice
- Rotary cutting tool (optional)
- Cutting mat (optional)
- Sewing Machine
- Measure the length of your dogs collar. Measure and cut a square of fabric to match the length of your collar. Ex. 16 inch collar, you want to cut your fabric 16 inches x 16 inches.
- Fold the square of fabric on the diagonal and iron it.
- Measure the long side of your triangle of fabric. Subtract the length of the dog collar. Take that number and divide it in half. That will be the amount of fabric you cut away from the long side of the triangle at each end. If your fabric is 23 inches and your collar is 16 inches, you will be removing 3 inches from each end. Be sure to square off your cuts.
- Open up your triangle. On the edge that you just cut, fold over the fabric by 1/2 inch. Your fabric should be wrong side touching wrong side. Crease this, or iron it to keep it in place. On your sewing machine, you are going to stitch that fold in place. Repeat this for the other side.
- Once that is done, fold your fabric back along the diagonal so that the right sides are touching.
- Sew from the edge of the folded opening, down to the point, leaving the folded area open. This will be where your collar slips through. Repeat this for the other side.
- Through one of the openings, turn your fabric right side out and iron it. You can stop after this step and use the bandana just by slipping the collar through, or if you are sewing it, you can do these finishing steps for a nicer finished project.
- Sew a straight like from the bottom of the opening on the left, to the bottom of the opening on the right. From there, you want to sew from the bottom of the opening to the point on each side. Be sure to leave both side openings open.
- Slide your dog collar through the opening.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases