Homemade Dog Toys – Scrap Fabric Dog Toys
Scrap Fabric Dog Toys
My friend’s dog Biscuit LOVES fabric dog toys. They toss them around in the air and sometimes use them as a pillow.
If your dog is like Biscuit, then making them adorable homemade dog toys out of scraps will be fun for your dog and if you are a crafty person – fun for you too!
You get to be environmentally conscious – reduce, reuse, recycle. And you get to be frugal. If you really enjoy making these you may even decide to sell them.
Before we get into the instructions let’s take a look at what fabric to use for your scrap fabric dog toys.
What’s the Best Fabric for Dog Toys
The best fabric to use for dog toys depends a great deal on how heavy a chewer your dog is.
The heavier the chewer he is, the heavier the fabric you should pick.
I prefer natural fabrics like cotton and wool, because they don’t contain micro plastics like synthetic fibers do, and if your dog does tear them apart then they will just degrade in their bodies and get pooped out.
Here are the instructions for making your scrap fabric dog toys:
Easy-Sew Scrap Stuffies are fun and easy to make.
- The first thing you want to do is felt your sweater by washing it in hot water. It will shrink a lot and become thick and lose a lot of stretch.
- Now cut the body of the kitty monster out of the main sweater.
- Cut strips of the sleeves for arms and legs, and the eyes and nose from your craft felt.
- Stitch the eyes to the front body piece. You can stitch on the pupils of the eyes or use a permanent pen to mark them.
- Now stitch the nose down.
- Beginning at the nose with a small zigzag stitch and stitch a mouth.
- Now sandwich the squeaker, and the arms and legs in between the top and bottom body pieces and pin all around.
- Now stitch all the way around your kitty’s shape.
- Clip the excess threads and you are finished.
A big shout out to My So Called Crafty Life for this pattern.
There are a few other uses for these types of dog toys besides just giving them to your own dogs.
Whether you want to sell dog toys at a crafting fair or do a project for a shelter, this craft works well. In fact, use your imagination, because this one is really versatile.
DIY Dog Toys to Sell
This craft is great for making a lot of dog toys both inexpensively and quickly. Which makes it work well for creating DIY dog toys to bring to craft shows or to sell on platforms like Etsy.
When you sell at events or online, it’s always a good idea to keep seasons in mind, because people do like to buy themed gifts for their dog. So in December you may want to make dog toys with a Valentine’s theme and in September you may want to start prepping for Christmas and Hanukkah.
Homemade Dog Toys for Shelters
If you’re part of a service organization or Scouting troop, you can ask your members to bring in the scraps for this project and then do the project together.
Be sure to ask the shelter what the requirements are for donating toys. Different shelters have different rules.Making special toys for our dogs is fun and can be very rewarding. I hope you love this craft and get some great ideas.
Please note that many links in this post are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I might earn a commission.