It is in their nature.
While this is an expensive dog breed to own, and they are very loyal dogs, you may not like the fact that your Frenchie vomits a lot. It is not a pretty sight when it happens but get used to it.
Frenchies or french Bulldogs are predisposed to vomiting and it may happen often during your ownership time. But like a marriage, you are in dog ownership through the good times and the bad.
There are several reasons why your Frenchie throws up more than other dog breeds. One is that they have allergies. Those allergies can come from just about anything in your home and so on.
Why does my Frenchie keep vomiting?
There are at least 7 legitimate reasons why your Frenchie throws up all the time. We just gave you one and it has to do with allergies. Dogs get them just like people do. This can make life a little tougher for your little friend.
Here are 6 more reasons why your little French Bulldog vomits:
- They Eat And Drink Too Fast- You need to slow them down a little to avoid this situation
- You Changed Their Dog Food Diet Too Suddenly- Need to break that food in a little at a time.
- They Got Into The Garbage, Etc. And ate something they shouldn’t have eaten
- Dogs get motion sickness and this is one reason why your Frenchie throws up
- They Have Intestinal Parasites- Not common but a very serious problem only your vet can handle
- They Are Sick- Not just from minor diseases but serious ones like kidney, liver, pancreatitis, diabetes, infection, cancer, and so on. Have your vet check your dog when you see abnormal vomiting.
Why is my French Bulldog throwing up undigested food?
One of the things to be wary of in this situation is that even the vet may not know the source. There are a number of reasons and some of those reasons will not be common. So do not be surprised if your vet does not know why.
Here are 3 common reasons that could be the source of your dog’s problem:
1. Brachycephalic Syndrome- Usually related to vomiting white foam it can happen with undigested food. This syndrome creates an elongated soft palate, everted laryngeal saccules, hypoplastic trachea, stenotic nares, and possible laryngeal/tracheal collapse which will lead to vomiting.
2. Oesophageal Disorder- This is either caused by hernias or it can be hereditary, Can only be diagnosed by a vet.
3. Food Allergy- Due to their sensitive stomachs Frenchies can become allergic to a variety of food items. However, when Frenchie puppies vomit, it is almost natural. But check with your vet just in case.
Some of the time, a Frenchie will regurgitate food that has not even made it to their stomach yet. It does happen from time to time and may be on the rare side of things.
Also, Frenchies have been known to vomit water out of their systems. This occurs more when they drink too quickly
How do you settle a French bulldog’s stomach?
There is no miracle cure for this ailment. Mostly, it has to do with how your Frenchie eats and what they eat. But you can make things a little easier for your pet by doing one or some of the following:
- Change Their Food- If your pet is allergic to an ingredient change the food. Sometimes chicken can replace beef if your dog is allergic to the latter ingredient.
- Check The Treats You Feed Him Or Her- Once you find the one that is upsetting their stomach, then stop feeding it to him or her.
- Use A Slow Feed Bowl- Because Frenchies tend to eat too fast, you need to slow them down. If you don’t then their stomachs may get upset and vomit the food back out. Slowing their feeding time is one way to prevent this from taking place.
- Go To Your Vet- If all else fails and your dog’s stomach is still upset, talk to your vet. There may be a medical reason why their stomachs are unsettled. They will do some tests to get to the heart of the problem.
Some final words
While it is normal and natural for your Frenchie to throw up, it is not always a good sign. Just make sure to eliminate the simple to-solve reasons first before suspecting your dog has a major disease.
When in doubt, talk to your vet. Not only can they diagnose the problem, but they can also calm your own nerves and bring you a little peace of mind.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.