in

Help! My Dog Ate A Bee

Brown puppy standing in grass looking up overhead at a bumble bee

Dogs tend to get into things that are not always good for them. The dog may be running around outside and snap at some bugs. Some of these bugs may be a bee. There are some things that you should be aware of if your dog eats a bee but it is always recommended to contact your veterinary in case your dogs eat a bee.

What happens if the dog eats a bee?

In most cases, the dog will not become ill. Most dogs will be able to digest the bee without a problem. In most cases, there is nothing to worry about but you do have to worry about the stinger.
Dogs tend to snap at bugs and other things that fly around them. They do not know the difference between a fly and a bee. The bee should not cause harm to your dog if it was just swallowed. The bee sting is something that you should be concerned about. You should check your dog for bee stings around the mouth, on their tongue, and anywhere else that you can see in their head. If there are no bee stings then you should have nothing to worry about.
While it is not ideal for the dog to eat a bee there is no real danger to ingesting it. The stinger of the bee contains poison. If the dog ingests the bee they can digest the poison without a problem. But if the dog came in contact with poison this would be a problem and medical attention would be needed immediately. There are only some types of bees that will release poison when they sting. The average bee will not release the poison. It is the wasps that you should be really concerned about if they happen to sting your dog.

Symptoms of Bee Sting

Pug with swollen eyes and snout

If your dog gets stung by the bee, several possible symptoms can occur. Some of the symptoms are minor and harmless while the others are indicative of a severe condition. Look for following possible symptoms:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Swollen Eyes
  • Lethargic
  • Drooling
  • Weakness
  • Disorientation
  • Increased Heart Rate
  • Difficulty Breathing

How To Care For Minor Bee Stings

Dachshund with swollen lip

Following a bee sting, most dogs will show mild symptoms like pain, swelling etc. There are a few things you can do to ease their pain.

Cuddle – The dog may be in some pain if they got stung in the mouth. They may be looking for some comfort. This will help make things easier on the dog. Spending time with the dog and living with them will help them know that things will be okay.
Cool Compression – A cold compress can be used to help the dog if they have gotten stung especially in the mouth. This will help with any pain and may also help reduce swelling if the stinger has to be removed.

Remove the Stinger – If there is a stinger in the mouth or around the mouth it is important to remove it. This can lead to discomfort. You will need to be gentle during this as this may hurt the dog.
Do not pull or pinch the stinger as this can lead to pain. Instead, you should scrape out the stinger with the help of a credit card to help the dog become more comfortable. You need to be calm so the dog does not get scared. You may want to use a little baking soda and water to help safely remove the stringer.

Does your dog eat odd things? What should you do if your dog eats a mouse? To learn more check out our post Help! My Dog Ate A Mouse.

How to care for Serious Bee Stings

Bulldog with swollen face

While dogs may experience some swelling if they eat a bee it is possible that they can have an allergic reaction. There are some situations where the dog will need the attention of a veterinary immediately.

  • If the dog is having trouble breathing or if they are breathing heavily they should be taken to an emergency animal hospital or vet office. The dog having this type of reaction they are going to need constant care.
  • While some dogs may have a little swelling around their mouth others may have severe swelling. If the swelling is interfering with breathing or eating then the dog will need to have medical attention.
  • Another sign of an allergic reaction in a dog is disorientation. The dog may become lethargic and it may not be able to walk properly. If the dog seems to lose coordination they should be taken to the vet.

Prevention

Prevention is always better than cure. Whenever your dog is outside, keep a close eye on him to reduce the chance of your dog eating a bee. If you see a bee flying around your dog then move your dog away from bee immediately and always keep your dog on a leash whenever outside so that you can control him easily.

While it is not ideal for a dog to eat a bee in most cases the dog will be fine. If the dog is stung in the mouth it may have minor discomfort and it should go away. If your dog is having trouble breathing or showing other extreme conditions then you should bring your dog to the veterinary right away for treatment.

Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.

banana peel on dark wood surface

Help! My Dog Ate A Banana Peel

Black Labrador Retriever chewing on a bone while laying in grass

Help! My Dog Ate A Bone