Skip to Content

Can A Dog Survive Chocolate Poisoning Without Treatment?  

jack Russell Terrier laying on a floor near a partially eaten chocolate bar

Not everyone can make it to the vet and this is the situation many dog owners face. The vet could be closed, on vacation, or in another town. Finding a vet to go to for these dog owners is tricky and hard to do.

They can contact this organization and get some help but many of these organizations are not vets and are not allowed to dispense animal medical advice.

Even facing these tough odds, the good news is that your dog can survive Chocolate poisoning. It just depends on the amount and type of chocolate they ate and their size.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie! What should you do if your dog eats chocolate? Click here to learn more.

What Should I Do Immediately If My Dog Ate Chocolate?

There is not going to be a rush on this at first. You will have about 6 to 12 hours before any of the symptoms start presenting themselves. Some dogs may never show any symptoms while others may not make it to the 6-hour mark.

What you have to do first is monitor your dog. Watch for the symptoms and while you do that, determine how much chocolate they ate and which chocolate version they ate.

If it is white chocolate, you do not have to worry as that is non-toxic to pets. But if it is cocoa powder, then make sure you know how much they ate. Even one ounce per pound is dangerous to your pet.

If the symptoms appear call your vet and get in to see him right away. Also, if the chocolate your dog ate is dark or baker’s, then those versions are as bad as cocoa.

Depending on how much your dog ate will determine your next course of action.

Should I Make My Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate?

Dachshund standing on a counter eating chocolate from a valentines candy box

The answer to this question is, ‘not necessarily’. Again, your course of action goes back to how much chocolate your pet ate and what type. If it is white chocolate, no action is needed because white chocolate is non-toxic.

If your vet is not available, you should induce vomiting if your dog ate enough dark, baker’s, or cocoa chocolate. You do this by mixing some hydrogen peroxide in water and giving your dog one or two teaspoons, depending on their size.

But if you are not sure, then contact the people at the helpline linked to earlier. They should be able to let you know if vomiting is needed or not. Sometimes, you can wait till you see your vet.

The symptoms do not show up for hours so you do not have to react right away in most cases.

Help! My Dog ate a Chocolate Cake! Click here for what you need to know.

How Long After Eating Chocolate Will a Dog React?

Dog with a chocolate cake in its mouth isolated on a white background.

This will depend on the dog, its breed, and its size. You may find that larger dogs may not react at all. That is because they weigh about 5o to 70 pounds and the piece of chocolate, etc., was too small to harm them.

If it is cocoa powder, then your large dog may have to eat 50 to 70 ounces before it will get chocolate poisoning. When your dog does show some symptoms, which can take anywhere between 6 to 12 hours, take your dog to the vet.

There the vet can induce vomiting for you or give him or her activated charcoal, intravenous fluids, heart medications, anti-convulsants, and antacids, depending on the clinical signs.

During this delay, you can take some time to determine how much chocolate your dog ate, and which type. Milk Chocolate is the second safest version your dog can eat and they may not get sick.

It can take up to 6 milk chocolate bars before your pet gets poisoned.

How Do You Flush Chocolate Out of a Dog’s System?

Squares of chocolate isolated on a white background.

There are two ways you can do this. But first, you need to be aware that there is no antidote for chocolate poisoning. You just have to use one or the other option before it gets too bad.

The first way to get rid of the chocolate would be to induce vomiting. Not a pretty site or action but it is one of the best options you have. The second option is to mix some active charcoal in water and give him or her one to two teaspoons.

The amount depends on the size of your pet. The vet may do both for you when you come to their clinic. It takes about 17 1/2 hours before half of the theobromine is gone from the body.

Some Final Words

Partially eaten chocolate bar in a foil wrapper, isolated on a white background.

Yes, your dog can survive chocolate poisoning without treatment. There are just too many variables to say anything more specific than that. Just make sure to know and watch for the symptoms and have your vet’s phone number handy.

Also, make sure you know what type of chocolate and how much your dog ate. That will help bring the fastest cure.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.