Skip to Content

Help! My Dog at A Chocolate Cake

Overhead view of a slice of chocolate being removed from a whole chocolate cake.

It is best not to panic. Dogs will get into a variety of food items if you are not looking. They love the smell of chocolate, especially if it is the fragrance of freshly baked chocolate cake. That odor is hard to resist whether you’re a dog or a human.

When your dog does eat some cake, do not panic. Your pet will need you calm and collected so you make the right health care decisions. When your dog has eaten more than just a few crumbs, you should talk to your vet or visit

These are the professionals that can tell you what to do in this situation.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie! What should you do if your dog eats chocolate? Click here to learn more.

Will My Dog Be OK If He Ate Chocolate Cake?

Overhead view of a table set with a piece of chocolate cake on a white plate with white dog paws on either side of the plate

The answer to this question depends on several factors. One will be the size and age of your pet, another will be what type of chocolate went not the chocolate cake, and three, how much he or she ate.

As you know by now that cocoa, dark, and baker’s chocolate contain the most theobromine and are the most dangerous for your pet. The amount that they have to eat is roughly 1 ounce per pound that the dog weighs.

If your dog weighs 20 pounds, it would have to eat 20 ounces of the cake to feel any sickness. If the cake was made from milk chocolate or white chocolate, then the dog would have to eat several pounds of both to be sick.

What this all means is that if your dog does not eat a lot of chocolate cake, you do not have to go to the vet nor do you need to call the hotline. Just monitor your dog and if they show any symptoms then go to your vet.

If you are not sure about your dog and its weight, this link will bring you to a good toxicity meter to help you figure it all out.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Brownie! Click here to learn more.

How Much Chocolate Cake Is Toxic for A Dog?

Slice of chocolate cake with chocolate shavings on top with the rest of the cake in the background.

This is a good question but you need to take the factors mentioned in the previous section in mind. Then use that toxic calculator to get an idea of how toxic the cake will be for your pet.

For example, if your dog weighs 20 pounds and eats 1 ounce of cocoa chocolate in the cake, then this is a very severe situation and you should go to your vet as soon as possible.

If you have a 10-pound dog, and they eat the same amount of cocoa chocolate, then not only will they be very sick but they may die. Then if the cake was made with baker’s chocolate, and your 20-pound dog ate 3 ounces of it in the cake, then you need to get to the vet as soon as possible.

If the cake is made of white chocolate, you do not have to worry as the theobromine doesn’t really register and it would take over 100 pounds of chocolate cake to make them sick.

Now that all the bad news has been mentioned, keep in mind that all dogs are not the same. It may take between 6 to 12 hours for different dogs to show any symptoms.

If you see the symptoms, then take your dog to the vet and get medication or the stomach pumped, and so on.

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate Cake

Yellow lab on a towel on the floor with a person holding their head

There are some simple things you can do while you wait for the symptoms to appear.

1. Induce Vomiting– This step should only be done if you determined your dog ate a lot of chocolate cake with baker’s chocolate or cocoa powder or dark chocolate.

Each chocolate cake is different and you have to make sure they ate enough cake to warrant this step.

2. Feed Them Raw Goat’s Milk– If you have it. A little goat’s milk can line the stomach and soothe the stomach. If you do not have any raw’s goat milk, then use activated charcoal. 5 teaspoons in a cup of water, mix well and then only feed your dog about one tsp. of this mixture.

3. Contact Your Vet– Let them know what your dog ate, how much it ate, and the size of your pet. This will help them make a diagnosis and determine if your dog ate too much or not.

Can a Dog Survive Chocolate Poisoning Without Treatment? Click here to find out.

Some Final Words

Top view of a chocolate cake topped with blueberries, blackberries, and mint.

It is not the end of the world if your dog ate some chocolate cake. If they are a small dogs and they ate a lot, then you need to worry and take the proper steps to protect your pet.

If they are a large dogs and they did not eat too much cake, then your dog should be fine. Just monitor them and look for any symptoms. If the symptoms appear, contact your vet or

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.