Skip to Content

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Brownie

3 brownies covered in chocolate with a mint garnish on top

While you may enjoy these tasty little treats, especially if they are made with fudge, they are brown for a reason. They are made with chocolate and chocolate turns them brown.

That ingredient is your first red flag when you are thinking about giving a portion to your dog. The presence of chocolate may taste great to you but it is toxic for your pet.

When you see your dog eating a brownie or two, you should keep your head, and contact your vet or the people at They will help you through if your dog does contract chocolate poisoning.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie! What should you do if your dog eats chocolate? Click here to learn more.

What Happens If My Dog Ate a Chocolate Brownie?

There are two main aspects to this situation. If a big dog like a German Shepherd ate a small brownie, then most likely, nothing will happen. But if a small dog, like a Maltese, ate a large brownie, then he or she may get sick, start to vomit, and so on.

However, you have a 6 to 12-hour window before you start seeing any symptoms. If your dog ate a lot of brownies, those symptoms may present themselves even faster.

During this time, keep an eye on your pet, and then sit down and figure out how much chocolate was in the brownie that was eaten. This is important information your vet should know if the situation reaches that stage.

If your dog is not sick, you won’t have to do anything and you just make sure those brownies are well out of reach of your pet. But if you start to see vomiting, upset stomach issues, or bloating and heavy breathing, then you should contact your vet or the helpline linked above.

They will give you the right information you need to know about so you can handle this situation. In most cases going to your vet is the first and most important step to take.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Donut! Click here to learn what you should do if your dog eats chocolate.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats a Brownie?

2 brownies on a small plate with a toy dog looking on

Because chocolate is chocolate the steps to take will be the same whether the chocolate was in a brownie, cookie, or a doughnut or cupcake. The steps do not change because the tasty treat changes.

First off, if the brownie was made with white chocolate only, then you have nothing to worry about. Your dog would have to eat somewhere between 100 and 250 pounds of white chocolate brownies to get sick. Depending on their size.

Second, you have to know what type of chocolate was used in making those brownies. If it was made with cocoa, baker’s chocolate, or dark chocolate, then even a small amount will harm your pet and cause chocolate poisoning.

You may not know which chocolate was used if you bought the brownies from the store or bakery. Look at the package to see what ingredients were used. Those chocolate ingredients listed first means they are the largest portion of the brownie.

During all of this, you should be keeping an eye on your dog. If they exhibit any of the chocolate poisoning symptoms, then you need to get them to the vet as quickly as possible. Bring the information about the brownies with you so the vet can make a proper diagnosis

Will One Chocolate Brownie Hurt My Dog?

overhead view of brownies on parchment paper

Yes and no. While it is smart to keep all chocolate away from your dog, not all chocolate will harm your pet. For example, a brownie made with milk chocolate will not be as dangerous for your dog as if it were made with cocoa.

If the brownie was made with baker’s chocolate, cocoa, or dark chocolate, then yes, one brownie will hurt a small to medium-sized dog. It may not affect a large dog but talk to your vet to make sure on that point. Before you feed him or her a brownie.

It is best to play it safe and not feed any brownies to your dog. That way they are 100% protected and will not get sick. To know if your dog has chocolate poisoning, look for these signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Urinating and/or drinking more often
  • General restlessness and excitement
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Increased heart rate/heart palpitations
  • Collapse

Death (in extreme cases) is rare especially if you act quickly enough. The people at can help you if a vet is not available in your area.

Help! My Dog ate a Chocolate Cake! Click here for what you need to know.

Some Final Words

3 brownies in a stack on a paper towel resting on a wooden table.

If you take the right precautions and learn all you can about chocolate and what it does to your dog, you can act quickly, use common sense and not panic. If you are able, you can learn what to do and spare yourself a trip to the vet.

But if it is a serious case, drop everything and get your dog to the vet. There is nothing gained by delaying treatment.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.