Skip to Content

Help! My Dog Ate A Chocolate Donut    

Overhead view of chocolate donuts on a white tray

Spoiling your pet can be fun. That is one reason why many pet owners feed their dogs a little chocolate from time to time. In most cases, a milk chocolate bar or a small amount of chocolate will not hurt your pet.

But you need to know those safe amounts and not everyone does. Then you should not feed your dog small amounts of chocolate every day. Once in a blue moon is okay.

When your dog does eat too much chocolate, then you should call your visit your vet or contact the Either option will provide you with the right information to handle the situation.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie! What should you do if your dog eats chocolate? Click here to learn more.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate a Chocolate Donut?

One of the things you will notice is that no matter what type of chocolate item your dog ate, the information is going to be the same. There is only one way to handle this problem.

This one way has a few variables but the first step you take is to observe your pet. You have between 6 and 12 hours before your pet shows any signs of chocolate poisoning.

During this time, you will need to figure out what type of chocolate he or she ate and how much they ate. If your dog starts to vomit, or bloat, (two of the early warning signs), then you should take him or her to the vet.

If your dog has not vomited in this amount of time, you may have to induce vomiting by mixing equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water and feeding them about a tsp of this mixture. Only do this 3 times, with 5-minute intervals in between each application.

Talk to your vet for further instructions. In the case of the rest of the doughnut, as long as it was cooked right, the flour, yeast, eggs, and bread portions should not harm your pet.

The milk, butter, and oil may provide some health issues though. Plus, if there is chocolate in the donut itself and not just the icing, then you may have a real problem on your hands. That is when you contact the helpline or the vet.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Cupcake! Click here to learn more.

How Much Chocolate Is In A Chocolate Donut?

Person glazing donuts on a tray with chocolate

This will depend on the recipe and what chocolate ingredients were used. If the icing is made of milk chocolate, your dog may be fine after eating just one or two. The theobromine in milk chocolate is low and it takes a few donuts to get them sick.

If the donut has white chocolate for icing or even some ingredients, then your dog would have to eat over 100 pounds of donuts before they would get sick. But cocoa, baker’s chocolate, and dark chocolate have the highest amounts of theobromine.

If those chocolate options are part of the ingredients, then you would have to determine how much of each was in the donut. Plus, you would have to watch your dog to see if they exhibit any signs of chocolate poisoning.

Each recipe is different so knowing how much chocolate is in the donut means analyzing the recipe, the number of donuts you made, and so on. But play it safe and make sure you watch your dog before taking them to the vet.

Help! My Dog Ate a Chocolate Brownie! Click here to learn more.

Will A Chocolate Donut Hurt a Dog?

Hand holding a chocolate glazed donut with a dog looking on in the background.

Yes and no. That is about the best answer that can be given. It all depends on the type of chocolate and how much of it was in the donut. If it is a chocolate donut made with lots of cocoa, then yes, your dog will get hurt.

The treatment he or she will receive will depend on what stage of chocolate poisoning they are in. If you get your dog to the vet in the early stages, then your vet can treat him or her with some active charcoal.

The vet will induce vomiting before feeding your dog with charcoal. But if it is in the later stages, your dog may have to have its stomach pumped or treated with medications.

Talk to the helpline linked above to get the information on what you can do when you notice your dog ate too much chocolate.

How To Avoid This Situation

Close up of a variety of donuts in a box

The best way is to make sure that those chocolate donuts are kept out of reach of your pet. Do not leave the box of donuts lying around as dogs can be sneaky and get one before you know it. Also, do not feed your pet any chocolate donuts.

Some Final Words

Hand holding up a donut in front of a pink background.

The chocolate smells and tastes good. These are two facts your dog already knows. They will want to have their share of this tasty treat but you should resist temptation. Be strong and say ‘no!’ to your dog and keep those chocolate donuts away from him or her.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.