I’m going to give you 3 varieties of pup loaf (dog meatloaf) in this post. For more dog friendly meatballs go here. Feel free to mix and match ingredients and use your imagination.
And for other dog safe table food recipes, check out these pizza flavored dog treats!
Before we get started though let me answer one question I get regularly.
Can Dogs Eat Meatloaf?
Dogs can eat most meatloaf. They aren’t supposed to eat onions and garlic, but the quantities in most human meatloaf won’t be enough to actually harm them.
However, human meatloaf can often contain spices and sauces that are often too much for a dog’s system.
It’s better to use one of these pup loaf recipes that’s specifically geared toward dogs. However, anytime you change your dog’s food – whether it’s treats or a dinner – you should go slowly and see how your dog reacts.
#1. Basic Meatloaf for Dogs Recipe
- 3 cups Meat
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetables Chopped or Grated
- 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- Mix everything together and roll into a loaf.
- Put it in a roasting pan and bake it for 80 minutes at 175 degrees.
#2. Dog Meatloaf Recipe with Rice
- 5 Lb Ground Beef May substitute or mix ground chicken also
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Cooked or Uncooked
- 2 cups Green Beans Fresh or Frozen
- 4-5 Carrots Chopped or Ground, or Sweet Potatoes-fresh, frozen or canned
- 3-4 cups Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1 Large Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 6-8 Potatoes Peeled and Cooked – Peels aren't good for dogs- You may substitute with dry instant potato flakes- 2 cups
- 1/4 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/2 cup Oats
- In the largest bowl you own, mix all together. Wear gloves and include the kids – this is fun and messy! It’s a little easier to mix it all if the vegetables are ground in a food processor first. You can add some cooked or uncooked pasta, chicken pulled from the bones, other vegetables, evensome stale crackers if you like. My dogs love just a little cheese too.
- Mix until it’s the consistency of regular meatloaf adding more broth or water as necessary. Some batches require more liquid if they have pasta or more rice and such in them. Spread in the largest pan you have. I use my lasagna pan. Bake at 375°F for about 40-50 minutes. It will smell delicious.My dogs sit and stare at the oven when I make it.
- Cool and serve or cut into squares and refrigerate or freeze.This is a large batch and freezes well for smaller dogs. Larger dogs get a larger square. I have one large dog, one medium dog and one small dog. All three take about 2 weeks to eat the entire pan.
#7. Dog Meatloaf with Oatmeal
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats -You can use gluten free oats if you want
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Mixed Vegetables – Use your dog's favorite veggies- I used broccoli, carrots, and apple
- 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Hand-mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined thoroughly. Press evenly into a loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze in slices for easy serving.
The Bottom Line on Pup Loaf Recipes
When making meatloaf for your dogs you will want to avoid onions and garlic, because in large quantities these can be poisonous for your dogs.
Most dog meatloaf recipes contain good-for-dog veggies and grains and this helps to make them more complete so that you can serve them as dog food.
If you are going to feed any of these recipes to your dog as a large part of their regular diet please be sure to check with their vet to make sure the recipe is suitable for your specific breed.
I love cooking for my dogs and I hope you do too! Enjoy these recipes!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases