Labrador puppies need quality nutrition to enjoy a long and healthy life. Therefore, homemade food can be an ideal alternative for these pups because it is free from unhealthy fillers. However, you must use fresh ingredients and combine fruits and vegetables with rich protein sources (meat) to provide a balanced meal. Keep reading to learn some of the best recipes to make homemade food for a Labrador puppy.
You want your Labrador puppy to have the best diet. So. what is the best food for a Labrador Puppy? Click here to find out.
What Home Food Can I Feed My Lab Puppy?
Home food can be quite beneficial for your canine companion but only if you ensure optimal nutrition. It’s highly recommended to discuss the dietary needs of your pooch with your vet before finalizing a recipe. The following are some recipes to make nutritious and delicious homemade food for a Labrador puppy.
Natural Dog Food for Lab Puppies
This is an ideal recipe for working owners who can’t cook daily for their dogs. You can make a large batch of food in one go and keep feeding your pup without any hassle.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 2 pounds frozen mixed vegetables
- 2.5 cups water
- Pour the water into your slow cooker and add rice to it.
- Then, add chicken, sweet potatoes, and mixed vegetables to the cooker and keep these ingredients for 8 hours on low flame. The chicken will shred easily once the food is finished cooking.
- You can serve this meal to your dog as soon as it is cool. It can also be stored in an air-tight container for future use.
- The recommended serving size is about ½ cup for every 20 pounds of body weight. You should feed 2 servings per day to a healthy pup.
Thank you to Top Dog Tips for this recipe.
Low-Fat Puppy Food
This is an ideal recipe to keep your Labrador puppy fit and healthy. This is because it offers good quantities of protein and energy without adding too many calories into your dog’s system.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 8-ounce package of frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower
- Place the turkey, rice, rosemary, and water into a large Dutch oven.
- Stir until the turkey has broken up and is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil (over high heat) and reduce the flame to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now, add frozen vegetables and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Refrigerate until ready for serving.
Apple Pretzels for Labradors
This 3-ingredient recipe is extremely easy to make and your dog will love the taste as well. It can also be great fun for the owner to roll and twist these pretzels. Here’s how you can do that.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Then, beat the egg and set it aside.
- After that, mix applesauce and almond flour in a large bowl.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the egg into a bowl and set aside. Pour the rest of the egg into the bowl with mixed ingredients.
- Stir the mixture until a dough forms.
- Take a two-tablespoon-size piece of dough and roll it into a tube.
- Take each tube and make it into a “U” shape, then twist the ends together and fold back to the top to make a pretzel shape.
- Place the pretzels onto the baking tray.
- Brush the top of each pretzel with the remaining egg.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until they're slightly browned and firm.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven and allow them to cool before serving.
Thank you to American Kennel Club for this recipe.
What side Harness do you need to buy for your Labrador Puppy? Check out our post “What Size Harness for a Labrador Puppy?” to learn more.
Homemade Banana Cake for Labs
This dessert will make your dogs drool every time because of its aroma and flavor. It can be an ideal gift for your Lab puppy on his/her birthday and here’s how you can make it.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1 egg
- ½ Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup carob chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using a nonstick spray, coat an 8-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the bananas, 3 tablespoons honey, egg, and water until combined. Then, stir in the flour, baking powder, and oats.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the carob chips on top. Use a fork to slightly mix in the carob chips in a marbling fashion; the chips should be slightly visible on the surface.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour. Check and bake for an additional 15 minutes if you insert a toothpick and it does not come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before transferring it to a rack to cool completely.
- As the cake is cooling on the rack, mix the peanut butter and remaining honey in a bowl until thoroughly incorporated to create the frosting. Spread the peanut butter frosting over the cake by using a spoon or spatula.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.
Please note: We are not veterinarians and you use our advice at your own discretion. We always recommend that you consult your veterinarian whenever you have health-related conditions your furbaby is facing. With that in mind, as pet parents ourselves, we wish nothing but the best for your pet and their healthy and happy lives.