Dogs need a lot of protein in their diet and animal meat is the richest source of this nutrient. Not only is it healthy, but canines also love the taste and aroma of meat. Whether it’s beef, lamb, chicken, or fish, your pooch won’t need a second invitation to enjoy his/her meal. Keep reading to know about some of the best recipes to make homemade meaty dog treats.
Beef Jerky Treats for Dogs
- A lean cut of beef (like flank steak with little or no marbling)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar (per pound of meat)
- Determine the required amount of marinade (according to the quantity of meat).
- Prepare the beef by removing all visible fat and cutting thin slices.
- Place the beef in the marinade and marinate in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours. Don’t forget to stir and ensure that everything is evenly covered.
- Once the beef is ready, strain it from the marinade and dry it with a paper towel.
- Now, preheat your dehydrator or oven to 160o F. If you are using a dehydrator, remove all the trays. This will prevent the trays from getting dirty due to the raw meat juice.
- Then, place sliced beef onto dehydrator trays, making sure to leave enough room between every piece for good airflow.
- Place trays in the dehydrator leaving good space between each tray and set the timer for 4 hours. In the case of oven, you should set the timer at 3 hours.
- Once the beef is cooked and dehydrated, allow it to cool completely before serving.
- You can also store it in an airtight container because this beef jerky can be kept at room temperature for a week. You can also put it in the fridge for preserving it for 2 weeks or more.
Want to make your dog homemade dog treats with no wheat based flour? Check out our post “Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats Without Flour”.
Beef and Cheddar Biscuits for Dogs
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups (360 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (81 g) rolled oats
- ⅓ cup (75.67 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (119.25 g) cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup (122 g) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 325o F line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Then, put the oats and butter in a large bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over these ingredients (while stirring) to mix them.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes before adding beef bouillon, milk, cheese, egg, sugar, and cornmeal. Mix them well
- Now, stir in the whole wheat flour. You should add one cup at a time and observe when a stiff dough is formed.
- After that, sprinkle some flour over the counter and shift the dough to it.
- Knead the dough. You can add more flour if the dough is too sticky and not smooth.
- Once you are happy with the dough’s consistency, divide it in half.
- Then, take half of the dough and use a rolling pin to roll it to ½-inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut small biscuits for your pooch. Repeat the procedure for the other half of the dough.
- Place the cookies evenly on the prepared baking sheets and bake them until they are golden brown (about 35-45 minutes).
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool completely.
- Serve these delicious treats to your pooch!
Homemade Meat Treats for Dogs
- 1 kg of ground chicken
- 3 organic eggs (medium-sized)
- ½ cup of organic coconut flour
- ¼ cup of freshly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup of organic hydrolyzed collagen powder
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat an oven to 180o C and line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Once the mixture has a smooth consistency, pour it onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until it turns golden brown (about 40-45 minutes).
- Remove the meaty dog treats from the baking sheet and place them on a cooling rack.
- Once they have cooled down, divide them into small pieces (bite-size) and give them to your pooch.
- You can store the extra treats in the refrigerator or freezer.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.