Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient for canines and is often included in commercial dog products. However, most of these products use flour which can be unhealthy for your dog. You can get the benefits of peanut butter without the disadvantages of flour by making some quality dog treats at home. Keep reading to know about some of the best recipes for homemade peanut butter dog treats without flour.
Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup peanut butter, plus 2 Tablespoons for frosting
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus 1 Tablespoon for frosting
- 1 cup water, plus 3-4 Tablespoons hot water for frosting
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350o F.
- Put the flour and egg in a large bowl.
- Add peanut butter, water, and honey to the mixture and keep stirring until you have a firm dough. It’s recommended to use your hands for proper mixing of the ingredients.
- Put some flour on the counter for rolling out the dough. Roll the dough to a thickness of about ½ inch.
- Then, use a cookie cutter to make the desired shape of the peanut butter dog treats.
- Place the cookies on a prepared baking sheet and bake until they are golden (about 18-20 minutes).
- Once they are done, set them aside on a cooling rack.
- You can make the frosting while the treats are being cooled down.
- For that, combine the peanut butter and honey in a microwavable bowl.
- Warm them (in the microwave) in 15-second increments while stirring in between, until they are melted.
- Add the melted mixture to cornstarch. Keep stirring until all the ingredients of the frosting are combined.
- Now, start adding water to the frosting mixture. Add 1 Tablespoon at a time until you have reached the desired consistency.
- Add frosting to a piping bag and put it onto the top of each dog treat.
- Store in an airtight container or reward your pooch with these treats.
Want to make your pup a special treat? Check out these Homemade Meaty Dog Treats.
Peanut Butter and Banana Treats for Dogs
- 1 large ripe banana (or 2 medium bananas), smashed
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the oats in a blender and grind them well until you have them in the flour form. Set aside.
- Take a large bowl and put the peanut butter and banana into it.
- Then, add the oat flour and smash all the ingredients with a fork. Keep doing that until they are well combined and you have a thick dough. If the dough is crumbly, you can add some more peanut butter and mix them again to get the desired consistency.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ¼”-inch-thick slab.
- After that, use a cookie cutter to cut the treats in your dog’s favorite shape.
- Place the peanut butter dog treats on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. The treats should become lightly brown from underneath.
- Allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes before sampling or sharing with your pup.
- You can also store these treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Looking for a special treat for your dog? Learn how to make these homemade chewy dog treats!
No-Bake Peanut Butter Treats for Dogs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats, divided
- Pour the milk into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Then, add pumpkin puree and peanut butter to it and blend on medium-high until all the ingredients are well combined (about 1-2 minutes).
- Now, slowly add 2 ½ cups of oats while beating the mixture at low speed. Make sure that the oats have been incorporated into the mixture before progressing.
- Make small balls of the mixture (1 ¼ inch-1 ½ inch) by using a cookie scoop. You can also use your hands for this purpose.
- Once the balls are ready, put them in the remaining oats (½ cup) and press lightly to coat.
- Cover the dog treats and place them in the refrigerator for about an hour or until they are firm.
- After that, you can give these peanut butter dog treats to your pooch or refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.