Keeping Your Home Healthy and Clean
These two objectives require that your pet or toy poodle be house-trained. It may take a little time, but you can potty train your dog so that your home remains healthy and clean all the time.
To learn how to achieve this goal, just continue to read our article. It has the information you need to know about so you can effectively train your pet and keep your house nice and clean.
Tips to Potty Train Your Poodle
1. Create a Potty Schedule– Make sure to have this schedule reach at least four times and keep strictly to the schedule so your dog will learn what it is supposed to do. These 4 sessions should last between 15 and 20 minutes.
Since a dog can hold their bladder one hour for each month of life approx. You should expect some accidents to happen from time to time.
2. Try a Litter Box– This method is not that hard, and you can put the litter box in a small room so that your pup does not have a lot of options available other than that box. Make sure to praise and reward your pet when they successfully use the litter box.
Don’t forget to say no when they are not that successful.
3. Use a Bell– Because the poodle species is very intelligent, you can teach them to ring a bell every time they need to go outside. That way you can hear the bell and respond quicker than if they just whined or sat by the door.
Just be ready to hear that bell ring often as your poodle may use it to tell you they want to go outside and play or go for a walk.
4. Use the Same Command- This is essential to potty train your pet. They will associate that command with the exact spot they are to go to the bathroom. Use the command when you take them to the same spot every training session.
Make sure to reward him or her when they obey and do this task right.
5. Go Potty is a Good Command to Use– Keep the command simple and one your pet can understand and learn quickly. Then when he or she responds correctly, praise and reward them with a nice treat and a few good boys or good girl words.
Just be patient as potty training is not an overnight task or something that will be done in a day or two.
6. Use Praise and Rewards– This is vital when you are training your pet to go outside or in a litter box. Rewarding them reinforces positive behavior and lets them know they did it right.
The key here is not to give him or her lots of rewards at one time. You want them to remain slim and healthy.
7. Walk Your Dog– This is to be done after they have had their meal or have taken a drink. They will get used to this activity and learn where they are to go to the bathroom and when.
You may have to wait about 20 or 30 minutes afterwards as it does take your toy poodle some time to process their food and water.
8. Use a Crate– This is a trick used by many dog owners and it seems to be very effective in training your dog to go potty where they are supposed to. Dogs, especially poodles, do not like going to the bathroom near their beds so this is a handy tool too.
Make sure to take them to their designated bathroom area for them to relieve themselves.
9. Stay Consistent– You do not want to do random training, use random commands, or random bathroom areas. You need to remain consistent, use the same commands, the same spot, and the same time frames to effectively train your pet.
If a mistake is made in the house, show him or her where they are supposed to go. Be gentle but firm in your punishment.
10. Clean Up Those Mistakes Quickly– Odors remain on the floor or in your carpets for a very long time. You need to kill those odors so that your puppy does not return to the same spot and use it again.
Use odor-killing products to eliminate those smells and teach your pet to go in the right spot.
Some Final Words
Like anything else worth doing, you will need to take your time, be patient and reinforce your training. Do not overly punish when mistakes happen but teach them that those areas are not to be used.
Then remind them where they are supposed to go. Be consistent and use the same technique every training session until your pet learns what they are to do. Once they learn, your efforts will be rewarded.
Please keep in mind that we may receive a small commission when you click our links and make purchases and as an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.