You decided to buy a husky; now what? One of the first decisions you have to make after bringing your puppy home is deciding what to feed him or her. Most puppies cannot handle grown-up adult human food so finding a better alternative is essential for their health.
You can follow the food choice of the breeder, but you are free to choose your own puppy food. Just make sure to make the transition slowly, so your dog does not get its stomach upset.
One thing is for sure; you should feed your puppy food that is higher in protein than adult dog food. If protein is not the first ingredient on the list, then move on till you find a dog food where it is.
What are Good Husky Names? Click here to learn more.
What To Feed a Husky Puppy
The brand only matters when it comes to the ingredients. It doesn’t really matter about the brand name if the food is high-quality and high in protein. Skip those dog food brands that skimp on the quality of both.
Generally, you should feed your pet 1 cup of dog food per 15 pounds of weight. Other owners simply follow the instructions on the package to guide them in the amount of dog food they should serve.
If you are not sure how much to feed your new puppy, talk to your vet. They will provide you with instructions and may also have a few brands of high-quality dog food for sale as well.
Unless otherwise directed, you should keep human food to a minimum at this time. You do not want your dog to get spoiled by your great-tasting dinners that may not be that healthy for your puppy.
Make sure to keep away from spices, onions, garlic, and other ingredients that are harmful to your pet.
What is a Mini Husky? Click here to learn more.
What Is the Best Food for A Husky
One type of diet to avoid would be the raw food diet. This may be okay when your husky is an adult. But when it is a puppy, their immune system Is not ready to handle bacteria, etc., that come with raw food.
The best food for your husky puppy will be those food items that are made for puppies. This may mean feeding your dog some puppy dry dog food with a little puppy wet dog food mixed in.
Then you have to watch out for those puppies that were born with sensitive stomachs. You may see your dog throw up or have diarrhea after eating their meal. These are signs of a sensitive stomach.
When your pet has a sensitive stomach, you should stay away from those food items that contain– corn, soy, gluten, wheat, and dairy. Also, avoid food items with additives, preservatives, fillers, and by-products.
What to Know about Husky Puppies? Click here to learn more.
Commercial Brand Dog Foods
There are a lot of dog food brands on the market today. The trouble is finding the one that will have the best nutrition for your husky puppy. You may have to go through every puppy food bag on the shelf before you find one with high-quality food. Or you can simply pick from the upcoming list:
1. Top dry dog food for puppies
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food- this option is free from digestive irritants and contains high protein levels
- Natural Balance Whole Body Health Dry Puppy Formula- made from chicken, brown rice, and duck, your puppy will get the nutrients it needs at every meal
- Taste of The Wild Food* with Roasted Venison and Bison- an exotic ingredient in dog food, the pieces are puppy bite-sized for easier eating. There is no grain in this nutrition-packed dog food.
2. Top wet dog food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness- is enriched with vitamins and minerals but contains no wheat, corn, soy, by-products, fillers, and artificial ingredients
- Sojos Complete Natural Freeze-Dried Dog Food- all the proteins, fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals are freeze-dried. Just a little water combined with one package makes 12 pounds of delicious wet puppy food.
- Canidae- everything your puppy needs, nutrition-wise, is packed into every can of this wet dog food.
If your dog has a sensitive stomach, then these brands may be of some help to you: Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, Wellness Complete Dog Food, & Instinct Raw Boost Dog Food* by Nature’s Variety.
Finally, if your vet puts your puppy on a limited-ingredient diet, these brands can meet that requirement: Natural Balance, Canidae, & Blue Buffalo Basics.
What Does it Mean When a Husky Howls? Click here to learn more.
Some Final Words
You do not have to go the feeding your new puppy route alone. There are plenty of puppy food options that are healthy for your husky to it. You can always ask your vet what he or she recommends to help make the choice easier.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.