The grooming needs of poodles are one of the most challenging things for owners. Although they don’t shed much, their hypoallergenic coat needs regular brushing and trimming. There are many different types of haircuts that owners can choose for their poodles. In this article, we will discuss an adorable trim (for toy or miniature poodles) called ‘toy poodle teddy bear cut’.
Resource: My #1 favorite resource for effectively training your poodle is Doggy Dan. His methods are gentle and effective and right now he’s offering 4 FREE training videos to help you get your poodle to CHOOSE to obey you.
How Do You Do a Teddy Bear Cut on a Dog?
This cut performs exceptionally well with long, woolly, or thick coats. It provides your toy poodle with a nice-looking tidy coat. Read on to know about the steps that can guide you to perform a toy poodle teddy bear cut.
Gather All the Necessary Materials
The first step for this amazing poodle cut is to assemble all the tools and supplies. They are as follows.
- Dog Brush – It is to remove tangles and mats from your dog’s coat hair. Generally, 2 types of brushes are used, bristle and slicker.
- Dog Shampoo – Hypoallergenic dog shampoos are quite useful for your dog, especially for sensitive skin. These shampoos have an alkaline pH to keep your pooch safe.
- Dog Conditioner – It minimizes the mats and tangles in your poodle’s coat by keeping it moist.
- Towel – It is used to dry out your poodle and refrain him/her from catching a cold.
- Clippers – A clipper set (with blade number 10) and an attachment comb is an essential part of this poodle cut.
- Scissors – You also need good-quality grooming scissors for trimming the hair around the eyes. It can also be used remove to trim additional hairs from the paw pads.
NOTE: Scissors are recommended only for experienced owners because they can injure your pet.
- Blow Dryer – It is an important grooming tool because drying allows you to get the exact style of your toy poodle.
- Grooming Table – It’s optional because you can trim your poodle even without this table. However, it is a valuable investment (if you can afford) because it provides comfort and ensures safety while clipping.
Brush and Clean the Dog
Brushing and cleaning your pooch is a must before giving a toy poodle teddy bear cut. This is because trimming a dirty coat can cause skin infections. Therefore, you should start the grooming process by brushing your canine. Make sure that his/her coat is free from tangles and mats.
Once it is done, it’s time to give your poodle a bath to remove the dirt. You can use a basin for a toy poodle to wash him/her. Use a dog shampoo and conditioner to soften the coat and then a towel and a dryer for drying purposes.
Groom the Body
- Start cutting at the bottom of the skull and clip the neck at each side.
- Then, cut straight along the middle of the back to the center of the tail.
- Now, clip over the hindquarters and ensure that you are clipping with the growth of the hair. Use blade 10 and perform trimming all around the abdomen, underarms, and genitals.
NOTE: For perfect results, you can use scissors to neaten up any messy parts.
Clip the Feet and Legs
Simply clip extra hairs on the feet and legs of your dog. Make sure to keep them rounded and uniform in length. Also, try to keep your pup balanced while grooming (or use a grooming table). The hair of the leg should be even with the body hair after cutting. Similarly, you can trim the hair of the tail to get an even length.
It is preferable to use scissors for cutting the hair around the ears. However, novice owners can use a clipper to make the trim. If possible, neaten the hair to a similar length and maintain it with the rest of the coat. Be careful while performing clipping on ears as it is the most challenging task (any carelessness can cause serious injury).
This is the last step of the trim and you should only go for this if you have experience. Otherwise, hire the services of a professional groomer. Use scissors to blend and feather as necessary. But make sure to keep everything smooth and neat. While cutting around your dog’s eye and nose, make sure that these are in the center of the circle.
How Often Do You Need to Give Your Toy Poodle a Teddy Bear Cut?
If you want that your toy poodle to always look freshly groomed, it’s important to provide him a teddy bear cut every 4 weeks. But if a little bit of variation is fine, a cut every 6-8 weeks is also enough. It is also important (for maintaining a poodle’s coat) to brush him/her at least 2-3 times a week. If your poodle spends a lot of time outside, it is necessary to brush him/her every day.
How Much Does a Teddy Bear Cut Cost?
If you perform a toy poodle teddy bear cut by yourself, it can be very economical. This is because you just need to purchase the tools and supplies. However, if you go for a professional groomer, you will need $30-$50 for a small to a medium-sized pup. The exact price will depend on several factors, like your area of living, your dog’s coat, and its tidiness.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.